BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Librarian

Thumbs up

Dr. Love, you rock! You are my new favorite BOLer

Chapter-Master

Thanks

Well I'm now half way through pre-treatment. So in a little discomfort as the bone marrow reacts to the drugs and swells up inside my bones. But all for a good cause.

Found out my recipient. Is a young woman, with an age between 5-25. Thats a pretty big window I must say.

Hospital on Tuesday for op, then rest of the week off. Lots of painting then ME3 to enjoy :P
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Chaplain

I don't believe I'd donate my marrow or other bodily material. Because I'm a selfish jerk like that. Do you have any right to choose who gets your donated marrow? Or do they just take it and give it to whoever is next on the list and matches you?
    The Eye of Skreebo is upon ye. Skreebo expects.

Chapter-Master

You sign up to the charity, they keep you on record and if they find someone who needs a donation, and looks to be a potential match, they ask you to send them a bigger sample. If thats a match you work through the steps and end up donating

You never meet and you have no choice. They just rely on you...you know being a decent human being to donate of your own free will and choice to give.

Chaplain

Well, I prefer not to be a decent human being then. If I'm giving up something I was born with I'd want to know who it goes to.

Chapter-Master

Well technically youre not born with it. What theyre collecting is grown by the drugs ive had over the last 4 days

Well todays the day. Under the proverbial knife or very literal needle..By time i go to bed tonight il have helped save someones life

Not a bad way to spend a day

Librarian

I signed up to be a bone marrow doner after reading your post. I hope others follow your lead. I am even going to forgive you for your trollish American politics thread.

Brother-Captain

I sent back my samples today.

So Dr. Love, how'd it go?

Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Chaplain

Good luck with it. And man up! It's just a needle! I once had a big assed lawn dart impale my foot and pin it to the ground. And calmly did I reach down and pull it out. So fear no needle! It's only a temporary pain. And a little pain never hurt anyone! Be strong! Be brave!

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post
    Well technically youre not born with it. What theyre collecting is grown by the drugs ive had over the last 4 days

Well todays the day. Under the proverbial knife or very literal needle..By time i go to bed tonight il have helped save someones life

Not a bad way to spend a day

Chapter-Master

Thansk for the comments guys, and well done to everyone who signed up

It wasn't that hard really. Have to say the night before was the worst of it, because the pre-lim drugs made it one of the worst nights sleep of my life. The actual thing wasn't that bad. Just a bit uncomfrotable while they jiggle the needles round

Having to pee in a cardboard bottle cos i couldn't move more than 3 feet from the machine for the 4 hours while on a constant drip wasn't exactly a highlight either. Had every drop of blood in my body pumped out of me, mixed with anticoagulent, put into a centrefuge, spun, seperated and put back in 3 times (about 18 litres goes through the machine in 4 hours)

Will say though. The trust don't scrimp. 2 nights in a good 4 star hotel (£200 a night) in middle of London, one day in a Private, £3500 a night hospital and good service. Got a bottle of water (bottled on the royal estate from their aquifer), ice cream from the place that supplied the royal wedding and then £30 per day per person (they also paid for my fioncee to come with) in food. They know how to treat you right!

And some pictures!

What we're here for

My "in" pipe. Not the biggest needle of the day

My handsome mug. Free Sky Tv to the bed, with internet that was faster than that which I get as staff at the University....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast