BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Super Detailed Stormraven WIP

Howdy all. I have started painting and assembling my Stormraven. However this will be no ordinary WIP. I plan on making it super detailed in many ways. Here's what I plan:

Magnetizinig the flying base

Hinging all 4 doors

Highly painted and detailed interior

LED on the interior

Converted top turret (because I hate the servitor in a brick)

Converted Ram intake (because I also hate the shop-vac brick intake)

Detailed base
    "Wisdom means having the ability to admit what you do not know."

Here we go. First thing I did was check all parts and pieces. The panel the rear door sits in was warped so I called GW and they sent me out a new sprue with a nice straignt one. GW customer Service is great.

Next I magnetized the base and bottom of the hull. I have 4 rare earth magnets in each for a total of 8.

I had to drill small holes in this with my pin vise. It is slow going but the pay off is huge.

Next I hinged the doors...all of them. The front assault ramp comes hinged so that's easy. The side doors and rear were a little trickier.

Side doors:
    I drilled holes all the way through the pseudo hinges on the doors themselves.

I drilled an angled hole here all the way through to the outside of the doorway. I drilled from teh outside at the far corner of the dor frame.

I also drilled a small hole here all the way through the door frame to the first door hinge "seat".

Once the holes were drilled I placed the door in the frame and used two short pieces of small gague wire to act as the pins in my hinges. I then peened them over and glued them to the inner frame of the hull(being careful not to get any glue in the hinge itself).

Now the rear door. I cut the hinge and bar off the rear assault ramp. I also cut off the little 'C' shaped clamps on the frame, that hold it in place. I drilled a small hole all the way through the landing gear housing on both sides. I decided to do it this way because I wanted a strong hinge and because the kit provides plates that cover up the outer landing gear housing.

I used a small lilipop stick for my pin and cut it to length. I wanted it to be just long enough to fit between the inner set of holes.

I ran the stick through and glued it to the bottom of my door, being careful not to get glue on any part of the frame.

Next I started painting the interior.

More interior:

Next I moved onto the top turret assembly. I really dislike the "Brick" the servitor sits in and want a lower profile "automated" turret. I decided to use a water bottle lid as they are have the right size and feel.

I cut a gap in each side of it so the gun mounts had room to stick out.

I then removed some stuff from the Turret base. I removed the little angled area towards the front and half of the rear "block". I wanted half the rear "block" to remain to hold onto my turret top.

Looking awesome!
    Borderline alcoholic and happy about it.
    Don't get your religion mixed with my Constitution. The mixture curdles.

Scout

That looks awesome indeed. I can't wait to see more of this.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast