BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Welcome to Kroot-landia. Did you enjoy your stay?

I've always enjoyed the look of the Kroot. Their stats kind of leave something to be desired, but I tend to root for the under-dog.

Here's what I came up with, but I don't want to paint all of these models if people feel they will just be used as a imperial guard bath-mat, or space wolves chew toy.

Oh, and heads up ^ --- This list also requires some rules tweaking and "fun thinking".

HQ: (Here's the tweaking)
    Aun'va - Master of the Undying Spirit
    Aunva's Guard X 2
    Most of Aun'va's rules leave out the Kroot. Maybe I could make him a Kroot HQ and just switch those rules to leave out everyone but the Kroot. This is a big maybe, but would complete the Kroot look.

Elite:
    Stealth Team X 5
    - Fusion Blaster X 1
    Stealth Team X 5
    - Fusion Blaster X 1
    Stealth Team X 5
    - Fusion Blaster X 1
    So these guys are posed as the 'Special Forces' guys watching over and kind of leading the Kroot, much like the American Special Forces do in foreign countries.

Troops:
    Kroot X 20
    Kroot Shaper X 1
    Kroot Hound X 12
    Krootox Rider X 2

Kroot X 20
    Kroot Shaper X 1
    Kroot Hound X 12
    Krootox Rider X 2

Kroot X 20
    Kroot Shaper X 1
    Kroot Hound X 12
    Krootox Rider X 2

Kroot X 20
    Kroot Shaper X 1
    Kroot Hound X 12
    Krootox Rider X 2

Stealth Teams have Fusion Blasters with Melta to hit tanks. Krootox has 48 inch Strength 7 weapon Rapid Fire. And the rest is kind of a James Cameron Avatar wave.

Once again, I like the army, but I don't want waste time painting a blood bath.

Thoughts?

Once Aun'va bites it you're screwed. Once the stealth suits bit it, you're screwed.

I'm sorry, but I'm going to tell you flat out. This is probably the worst Tau list I have ever seen. I'd seen this have much of a chance against.....well.....anything.

Banned

Kroot are just no good. Think about the other troops they will be fighting against. They will be either out-shot or out-assaulted by everything other than Imperial Guard troops. But, those guard have armor, your kroot will not.

It can be fun to try out alternate lists, but I can honestly say that you will lose every match. Losing before you start is not fun.

Ok here's my thoughts. If you drop the Krootox you can save yourself a lot of points. this also allows all your Kroot and Kroot Hounds to flank as in their current form they can't. The points you save in this way could go towards putting in more things. I know that you don't want vehicles based on the way you are doing the list but Hammerheads/Broadsides are the hammer of any Tau player. Crisis Suits will do some work for you but those guys are the ones reaching out and touching someone from across the board with a really big gun.

Seriously, if you flank with 100 kroot and the only thing on the board is Broadsides/Hammerheads that are hiding behind terrain or in terrain your chances of victory with this army go up quite a bit. Kroot are not to be underestimated when they get to do something before they get shot to hell. 14 kroot plus a shaper will have 47 attacks on a charge that are WS4 and Str 4. Not counting if you put any of the Ini 5 Hounds in the unit. Flanking with them in my opinion is the only way to play them. If you put them on the board they are going to die like flies to most armies. At least in this setup they will get to do something before your opponent can mess with them.

My 2 Cents

Scout

I also really like me kroot, if you want to make it a little more competitive/more varierty I would look into some of the forgeworld rules, especially the updated ones for the great knarlocs with mounted guns.