BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I switch favorites myself, but more often then not it's fantasy that holds my interest... even with edition shifts.

I guess a lot of it might be the lack of an MEQ type situation, where half the armies seem to be the same army. Add in the dislike I have for tanks and well... I guess the aesthetic is a huge appeal.

Personally I think both have a very well designed story. And despite both being heavily influenced by other materiels I think both have a rather unique story line at this point.

i like all the little bits of flavor and fluff that show up. Drachenfels, to me, has more to say about WHF than many of the newer stories. Gotrek and Felix really bring the world to life. etc.
    Plus you have night goblin fanatics and pump wagons. and Dark Elves ridiing dinosaurs that live in the frozen chaos wastes. How cool is that?

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    I'm an archaeologist
    Did you get hired then? Congrats. What univeristy are you working at? Is it a lectureship or what?

Scout

One of the reasons that fantasy has become my game of choice is that I like the look of a fantasy battle more then a 40k game. The look of ranked up troops beats blobs of guys any day in my book. I also love the magic phase in fantasy, it's so much easier for me to remember when all my spells go off in the same phase (I always forget spells in 40k).

I have played WFB for nearly 14 years. I tried 40k, but starting in 4th, it just became too bland and simple. Fantasy has all the tactical movement and huge combats (especially now) that are just awesome to see on the board.

And the shooting phase isn't the end-all of the game.

Having an army of Tzeentch Warriors of Chaos, that just look badass, led by sorcerers of unparalleled power. That's the appeal for me

The claim that fantasy is just LOTR is very tiring. Neckbeards want GUNS AND TANKS IN SPAAAAAAAAAACE but really the story is just as derivative.

The FB fluff has a lot of great things going for it; the constant loom of Chaos, the actual 'good guys', the lack of space ****s performing genocides. The 'darkness' of the FB world is something that really draws you in without being nearly as over the top as grimdark 40k.

I do love 40k, but I have an intense dislike for the fluff haters.

I like the darkly humorous aspects of Fantasy, and the fact that it isn't blacker than black grimdark like 40k. I like the Wood Elves portrayal as fae monsters with alien morality rather than arrogant humans with pointy ears - I like the Forest Spirits and the 'sentient forest' aspects of Athel Loren. I like a lot of the little setting details, like Mordheim. I'm not terribly fond of the current rules and scenarios, but hey, there's always Mordheim until 9th edition/the new Wood Elf book comes out.

Brother-Captain

I love the look of the troops ranked up in units, great blocks of them it appeals to the Ancient History buff in me. And I LOVE the characters. Warhammer Fantasy has so many great characters going for it, even the good guys get gritty and mean like Gotrek & Felix, or Alith Anar (seriously if you've not read it yet, read Shadow King, it's one of the best revenge stories I've ever read). You have Lord Kroak who's spirit is so damn stubborn he's still around in his bones centuries after his body died!

And the bad guys... wow, where to start. from a former elven princess who's become a 6 armed monster in Dechala, to world shakers like Nagash. We've got Malekith (and his mum!), and in Prince Sigvald a warrior who the song "You're so vain" could have been written about.

The storylines are truly epic stuff, the Storm of Chaos book was amazing and I wish they would do more like that.
    Last edited by Brakkart; 03-22-2012 at 10:06 AM.
    Either there is life in the universe more intelligent than us, or we are the most intelligent form of life in the universe. Either way, it's a worrying thought!

for me it is all about the idea of commanding a large high model count army in a fantasy setting. I love medival era and fantasy equally so WFB is perfect. I dont really like moving around solo models all the time or skirmish setup in 40k or warmahordes. I love warriors of choas, skaven, and empire!!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast