BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Any tips for painting reptilians?

Got a Reaper lizardman mini to use as a D&D Dragonborn. Any links to good tutorials for painting scales? I assume washing and drybrushing will have to be my main techniques, because the scales are way too small for individual detailing.
    "Tothe" rhymes with "cloth."

You assume correctly. I painted up a whole batch of lizardmen for WHFB by using white primer than washing them with successive coats of the appropriate color GW wash. I used fewer coats for the underside to give it that reptile pale underside look.

Veteran-Sergeant

I was planning to use Vallejo Camouflage Green as a base coat, wash with Vallejo Dark Green , drybrush GW Catachan Green, and then run a sepia inkwash. I was also thinking about incorporating GW Leviathan Purple wash and mixing in some yellow and green for highlights.
    "Tothe" rhymes with "cloth."

For my Lizardmen, I prime them black and then paint the skin Codex Grey, no drybrushing or anything, and then heavily drybrush the scales Knarloc Green and then highlight Fortress Grey on the skin and Scorpion Green on the scales.

Real simple, works well for getting it done fairly quickly, and strangely seems to kind of fit my winter bases.