BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default SW Long Fang question

I see this everywhere but i have never seen it as an option listing.
    The sergent can take a heavy weapon, lascannon, H bolter, etc etc. but where does it say this in the unit list. Can someone please clarify this?

Librarian

There are no sergents in a longfang pack there are only 6 longfangs, each can take a heavy weapon

you seem to be getting confused with the devastator squad from Codex SM
    "I Have Become Death the Destroyer of Worlds"

That's actually not correct; a Long Fang squad is 1-5 regular dudes and one squad leader (although, unlike SM Devastators, all members are Ld9.) The regular guys must each purchase a heavy weapon; the squad leader may not, although he does have the option for a special weapon (Flamer, Plasma, Melta) or melee weapon.

If your friends are fielding squads with all heavy weapons (i.e. no "sarge"), they are doing so in error.
    http://www.3plusplus.net/ : better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by AbusePuppy View Post
    That's actually not correct; a Long Fang squad is 1-5 regular dudes and one squad leader (although, unlike SM Devastators, all members are Ld9.) The regular guys must each purchase a heavy weapon; the squad leader may not, although he does have the option for a special weapon (Flamer, Plasma, Melta) or melee weapon.

If your friends are fielding squads with all heavy weapons (i.e. no "sarge"), they are doing so in error.
    "Brain hurt" didn't have my thinking cap on, my bad. AbusePuppy is correct
    "I Have Become Death the Destroyer of Worlds"

It is also worth saying that 1-5 guys give you the heavy weapons and the 6th guy (squad leader) who has access to your average squad weapons is the one who gives long fangs the ability to split their fire. So before you pull this model for the first wound remember that as soon as it is gone long fangs units have to fire everything at only one target a turn.

I've got one of my squads kitted out with 5 missile launchers and the leader has a plasma gun. Sometimes I join a wolf guard with cyclone. This may be where the 6th heavy weapon is coming from. Of course a Cyclone is like having 2 missile launchers. So I can shoot 8 shoots at up to 24 inches wounding most targets on a 2+ without saves allowed; while the squad is at full strength.
    Rogue Trader since 1991.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrix View Post
    It is also worth saying that 1-5 guys give you the heavy weapons and the 6th guy (squad leader) who has access to your average squad weapons is the one who gives long fangs the ability to split their fire. So before you pull this model for the first wound remember that as soon as it is gone long fangs units have to fire everything at only one target a turn.
    GW likes to do that. They give the pack leader the split-fire power and they give the SM Dev sergeant a signum; they do it so you think for about 2 seconds before you allocate the the pack leader/sergeant anyway because those heavy weapons are worth WAAAY more.
    See my blog @ http://perilsoftheblog.blogspot.com/

Veteran-Sergeant

I always run my Leader with a Plasma Gun. He adds some nice firepower to the unit and rarely dies to a bad "gets hot" roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrix View Post
    Worth saying indeed! I had never considered that before and I will change my tactics in the future because of this.

I never put anything on the Leader as I always Split fire in the first few rounds, (Can't split fire if he shoots) and when I start tacking casualties he is always the first to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast