BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by mikethefish View Post
    I guess so. I guess I don't see the appeal of 100 bucks worth of Forgeworld stuff. To me, Forgeworld is really only worth it if you get the REALLY impressive stuff (ie - the stuff that clocks in at the 2-300 buck range). Stuff that is truly impressive and a centerpiece for the army, rather than a Leman Russ variant (or whatever) that a hundred bucks will get you on Forgeworld

Personally if I had to spend that type of money, I would go the PP rout and get a sweet looking impressive model that you can use in a normal game without having to adopt special rules (structure points etc) and without having to ask your opponents' permission to use (since Forgeworld is only quasi-official - though to be fair, I hear that's changing, kinda sorta maybe)
    Have you ever seen pieces like Lieopolt the Black, Theodore Bruckner, Irillyth, Sevrin Loth, etc.? Those pieces (particularly the newer, warhammer forge pieces) completely outstrip anything Privateer has to offer. Easily. And all of those pieces are less than $50 a piece.

If you want to look at some larger pieces that clock in at ~$100:

Exalted Vermin Lord
    Elspeth von Draken
    Basilisk
    Carmine Dragon
    Khorne Daemon Prince & Herald, etc...

All of which you can use in a normal game without having to adopt special rules.

Perhaps you have a precedence with PP models that I simply haven't seen, but I personally think my $$ would be better spent, aesthetically speaking, on a FW model.

www.queencityguard.com

Have you ever seen pieces like Lieopolt the Black, Theodore Bruckner, Irillyth, Sevrin Loth, etc.? Those pieces (particularly the newer, warhammer forge pieces) completely outstrip anything Privateer has to offer. Easily. And all of those pieces are less than $50 a piece.
    So you can get 2 normal sized mini for the price of a pseudo-Titan? I don't get how this helps your argument.

If you want to look at some larger pieces that clock in at ~$100:

Exalted Vermin Lord
    Elspeth von Draken
    Basilisk
    Carmine Dragon
    Khorne Daemon Prince & Herald, etc...

All of which you can use in a normal game without having to adopt special rules.
    And apart from the Dragon (IMHO), none of them would hold much up to a Colossi, as far as a center piece, at least from the little one can glance from comparing pictures on websites. Yes, the FW have more details per micro-centimeters, but that's part of what I expect will maintain the 100$ price point ; large, smooth sculpt.

Thanks for posting that Sorcsha art, though I painted mine blonde on principle. Stupid brunettes with their being taken seriouslty hair colour and whatnot grumble grumble.

I'm not completely up to date with US/GBP echange rate but you can get some decent sized things from FW for 100, like a Lynx, Avatar and whatnot. But I don't think 100 is unreasonable for the colossals.
    Last edited by eldargal; 02-19-2012 at 01:24 AM.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Thanks for posting that Sorcsha art, though I painted mine blonde on principle. Stupid brunettes with their being taken seriouslty hair colour and whatnot grumble grumble.
    No problem! And to be precise, Sorscha's officially black haired, Zerkova's blonde, so is Haley (apparently, according to her art, Epic Haley went to brunette when she learned to manipulate time), and Denehgra is the brunette (not that we often see her without the fugly mask) But hey, if your Sorscha is having more fun than the official one, more power to you ^^

And regarding FW, some stuff is incredible, but as far as an centerpiece, under 100$, it's not the same thing. It's entirely possible to make a small force of Marines, and have the Contemptor the centerpiece. I'd even say that it's a better model than the 2 Colossi we saw until now. More details, a more 'realistic' look, maybe a better integration with the rest of the force. 40k and WM have a VERY different aesthetic.

But with the Colossi, the sheer ridiculousness of the size compared to the rest of the force IS the appeal. 'Kaiju', they call it, I think. Probably the same thing that appeal to people who buy Titans and stuff.

And because looking at Sorscha's art is hardly an unpleasant task ;

WAAAAAAAAANNNNNT

Chapter-Master

Pseudo Titan? Perhaps you've never seen a Titan model in person. Even a Warhound could only fit one foot on a 120mm base.

www.queencityguard.com

Pseudo Titan? Perhaps you've never seen a Titan model in person. Even a Warhound could only fit one foot on a 120mm base.
    And perhaps have you never heard the term pseudo before.

Chapter-Master

By saying pseudo you allude to it being similar in size. It will not be. It won't even be close. That won't prevent me from picking up the Cygnar one if they're priced similarly to the Storm Strider, but to compare them to Titans size size is silly. That is unless your use of pseudo was in regards to them having the same form; if that's the case, then all war jacks are "pseudo titans." the Colossals seem simply to be 54mm scale war jacks.

www.queencityguard.com

Thank you for telling me what I was trying to tell you. ''Pseudo'' derives from 'false', 'lying' implying at least similarity. The similarity is the role they fulfill in the scale of the game. They are the 'kaiju' model. The actual difference in size matters not at all, or at least not as long as it doesn't prevent the 'kaiju' feel, or the game from breaking.

And yes, jacks are all pseudo titans. The IK history explains why. But that's not what I was using the term in reference to, so I really don't see how this is relevant.

they look pretty great

Scout

I've already asked my local store to take me a Khadoran one as soon as they are purchasable. I'me more doubtful concerning the Cryx one.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast