BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Abusing the Rules: Rubberbanding, this can't be right

Friends, I was introduced to a new tactic recently called "rubberbanding." It seems completely abusive and seems to run counter to rules as intended. I'd REALLY love to hear from someone at Privateer on this one because it seems so wrong. Here goes:

You are fighting against Denegra. She has a Skarlock and a unit of Mechanithrals. The Mechanithrals advance across the board but (and here is the part that raises my ire) ONE of the Mechanithrals stays put back by the Skarlock. It purposefully goes out of formation. Now the main body of Mechanithrals advance across the board and into danger. However, one lone Mechanithral stays back out of harms way AND within easy spell range of the Skarlock. As needed the Skarlock can cast Ghost Walk on the Mechanithral unit by casting it on the one Mechanithral near it... completely out of harms way!

The "out of formation" Mechanithral DOES have to take a leadership test or flee every turn BUT that doesn't matter at all. The rules allow for it to flee zero inches! Likewise, the same out of formation Mechanithral is supposed to move toward the unit leader every turn but is likewise allowed to make a "full advance" of zero inches. The out-of-formation trooper simply stays back and acts as a conduit for the main body of the unit. Safely in the rear with the gear, it is there for the caster to buff (and thus buff the main body of the unit).

It seems like those engaged in "rubberbanding" are abusing a small weakness in what "full advance" means and a weakness in what "flee" means. In the final analysis, fleeing makes no difference nor do rules about models trying to get back into formation. Because of these flaws, players can keep back single warrior models and use them as conduits to buff units who are half the table away. That seems antithetical to the spirit of the game. The example I give above has got to be the tip of the iceberg. I'm sure there are far more abusive uses for "rubberbanding" than just getting your Mechanithrals to have Ghost Walk without exposing your caster (or Skarlock) to danger.

What do y'all think? Cheers. Copeland

While there is nothing specific in the FAQ my opinion is its like unit attachments. They have to be in formation to gain the buff. Honestly I cant believe people are doing this. As this is one of the highest levels of WAAC/Douchebaggery I could ever think of. Id suggest you find another group to play with or push the issue. Is this being done in casual games or is it in a league/tourney?? If its a tourney Id be calling the organizer over. If its in casual games Id refuse to play anyone that trys to pull anything similiar to this.

The jury is in. Rubberbanding is completely legal. Oi-vay. I spent some time on the Privateer Press board last night and the response I got from the Infernals and PressGangers left no doubt. I have moved through all seven stages of Nerd Grief on this one and have come to the final stage: Nerd Acceptance. It is what it is. Cheers! Copeland

Here are the Seven Stages of Nerd Grief:

1. Nerd Shock and Disbelief: Are you kidding me? That’s not a rule! There is NO way that’s legal in this game!
    2. Nerd Denial: I’m not playing by that goddam rule! It goes completely against the Spirit of the Game!
    3. Nerd Anger: Man, the guys who wrote this game suck! The guys who found this exploit suck harder! Arrrrgh! I’m SO mad!
    4. Nerd Bargaining: Screw it! I’ll go play that other game... or I’ll play this one if everyone agrees to play it the way I think it should be played!
    5. Nerd Guilt: I’ll buy a blister pack or two... that’ll make the pain go away... crap, now I just feel bad that I spent the grocery money on models... now I feel guilty AND I’m still upset about this rule!
    6. Nerd Depression: I hate this hobby. This sucks...
    7. Nerd Acceptance: Fine. That’s what the rule is. That’s how everyone else is playing it. I guess I will just keep playing. Hey, anyone up for a game?

Like i have said before -

"if you feel like your are getting cheated or it feels like you are cheating someone, than you are playing right"

Veteran-Sergeant

I don't have my rulebook with me, but I'm pretty sure that a grunt that starts the activation out of cmd range of the unit leader MUST advance (more than 0") and end it's movement closer to the leader than when he started.

I'll double check for you later tonight when I get home.
    Visit my blog for painting tips, WIPS and other cool junk - www.paintyominis.com

Sorry, Hman... I've been around the block on this one with the Infernals and everyone else over on the Privateer Press board. Troopers are required to make a full advance back toward their unit... but a full advance can be as little as zero inches. It is what it is.

I have come completely to terms with this rule... what I call "Nerd Acceptance." My initial visceral reaction was based on my belief that this IS a legitimate rule BUT it seems (at first blush) NOT to be an intended rule. I think that someone pushed the wording of the rules as hard as they could looking for a metaphorical seam to pop. They found it, popped it, and rushed right through the gap. I do not admire that.

I am a believer in the spirit of the law as well as the word of the law. Privateer went on to legitimize this by doing nothing. Shame on them. I am glad I found this out (and worked my way through my reaction) in a non-tourney setting. I think I was most distressed by this twisting of syntax was that it ran counter to what I believed about WM/H: that it is the tightest rule system out there. However, I'm still old fashioned enough to believe in the spirit of the rules and I think Rubberbanding goes against them.

So here I am: a player who might engage in Rubberbanding in some sort of 'Ard Boyz/Steamroller situation and exceedingly unlikely to use it during the form of play I most enjoy: casual play with my compadres. Cheers, all!

I really don't see it being a big deal. Having a unit of mechanithralls that far forward while Denny stays back is totally fine with me, as I can deal with them one at a time. So what if they get that buff? They'd get it another way and it doesn't seem broken to me. Does it seem a bit silly? Yes. Broken? Hardly. Most WM/H games are played so close anyway that your opponent keeping his warcaster back is likely going to be more of a detriment to him/her (fewer models caught by feat, for example) and that skarlock will be staying back so it can't throw out an offensive spell. Personally, I'm more worried about Denny's debuffs rather than her buffs - especially on easy-to-kill mechanithralls. Similarly, you can just tag a model with a spell like Hex Blast, Purification, or other abilities that remove upkeeps and your problem is solved.

Again, it might seem like cheating, but in the end there are so many ways to deal with it and your opponent is likely going to be at some kind of disadvantage anyway that it's not a big deal. Try playing with and against some other factions besides Cryx and you'll find that they seem much less "cheaty".

http://steam-poweredgamer.blogspot.com

Battle-Brother

Play scenarios or some of the Steamroller scenarios, and "rubberbanding" will quickly become a very bad idea.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Copeland View Post
    Friends, I was introduced to a new tactic recently called "rubberbanding." It seems completely abusive and seems to run counter to rules as intended. I'd REALLY love to hear from someone at Privateer on this one because it seems so wrong. Here goes:

You are fighting against Denegra. She has a Skarlock and a unit of Mechanithrals. The Mechanithrals advance across the board but (and here is the part that raises my ire) ONE of the Mechanithrals stays put back by the Skarlock. It purposefully goes out of formation. Now the main body of Mechanithrals advance across the board and into danger. However, one lone Mechanithral stays back out of harms way AND within easy spell range of the Skarlock. As needed the Skarlock can cast Ghost Walk on the Mechanithral unit by casting it on the one Mechanithral near it... completely out of harms way!

The "out of formation" Mechanithral DOES have to take a leadership test or flee every turn BUT that doesn't matter at all. The rules allow for it to flee zero inches! Likewise, the same out of formation Mechanithral is supposed to move toward the unit leader every turn but is likewise allowed to make a "full advance" of zero inches. The out-of-formation trooper simply stays back and acts as a conduit for the main body of the unit. Safely in the rear with the gear, it is there for the caster to buff (and thus buff the main body of the unit).

It seems like those engaged in "rubberbanding" are abusing a small weakness in what "full advance" means and a weakness in what "flee" means. In the final analysis, fleeing makes no difference nor do rules about models trying to get back into formation. Because of these flaws, players can keep back single warrior models and use them as conduits to buff units who are half the table away. That seems antithetical to the spirit of the game. The example I give above has got to be the tip of the iceberg. I'm sure there are far more abusive uses for "rubberbanding" than just getting your Mechanithrals to have Ghost Walk without exposing your caster (or Skarlock) to danger.

What do y'all think? Cheers. Copeland
    Honestly man, I read your two posts over on the PP forums and still dont see a problem. To be honest the game is designed with this in mind. Some casters have incredibly short ranges on their spells, IE trolls (alot of 6" spells) With medium based inf. Ruber banding is the only realistic way to buff some units.

Realy its NO diffeant than having a unit in a long conga line in an attempt to block some of the table, its just with the spellcasting u seem to get n advantage... Hell, I do this all the time and dont even need to break command alot of the time.

Say 6" on the low side for command, thats 1foot radius.

So I have my furthest back guy 6" from commander who u place in the middle of the unit, The lead models in the unit 6" ahead of the commander.

U can quite often get a buff out this way without the other trick, but it HARDLY breaks the game.... Serioulsy go read some of the more OTT feats if u want to go "OMG thats sooo OP!!"

Basicly, WM/H is a game of "WTF! I cant belive u can do that" U just need to suck it up and be ready for it next time... Page 5 man... page 5....
    Last edited by MaxKool; 02-21-2012 at 11:40 AM.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaxKool View Post
    Basicly, WM/H is a game of "WTF! I cant belive u can do that" U just need to suck it up and be ready for it next time... Page 5 man... page 5....
    And therein lies one of the major problems I have with WM/Hordes, and why I only play it with my friends over some beers. I don't see any fun in the above statement, particularly when d-bags like that are given the crutch of "Page 5" to fall back on.

www.queencityguard.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast