BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Getting into WM, have models but no idea what to do with them!

Hi there.

I'm a new player looking to get in on this great game. About a year ago, my FLGS was phasing several old Warmahorde kits out, so they were selling they were selling the models for a steep discount (45% off). I always liked the look and feel of Warmachine/Hordes but never really paid it much heed (too busy with 40k and other hobbies). I wound up purchasing several boxes of models, principally because they were really cool but also because I thought I could use them in my D&D games. Plus, I figured I wanted to play the game, some day, so I may as well buy some models well the getting was good.

Unfortunately, the kid in me who screams "Ooooo shiny!" in me wound up purchasing quite a diverse lot of models, including:

- Cryx Starter Set
    - Cygnar Starter Set
    - Boomhowler & Co.
    - Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters
    - Necrosurgeon and Stitch Thralls (x2)
    - Satyxis Raiders (x2)
    - Dire Troll Bomber
    - Warmachine MKII Rulebook

The other day I was at my FLGS browsing for this and that when I saw some people playing Warmachine. I passively watched a game and thought it looked like a lot of fun, so I decided to hop in and play the game!

I took an inventory today and found I don't really have enough models for an entirely single faction force at 35 points, which is kind of disappointing given the sheer number of models I own.

I was wondering, do any of the units I own look like they could fit together to form a coherent force without necessarily going out and spending a ton of additional money?

Scout

Taking a quick peek, if you buy or trade for the Satyxis Raider box, you can do 35 points easily with the Cryx since both the Nyss Hunters and Boomhowler Co will work for Cryx. Second choice would be Cygnar which is at 24 points currently since again, the Nyss and Boomhowler Co will work for them. I'm assuming those two are minimum unit sizes though. Your Cryx force is currently at 29 points with the two merc units. I hope that helps.

Yay! Mercenaries work exactly like I thought they did! That's good news!

Well its good to know I have more of an army than I thought I did!

However, do the units mesh well? Can Boomhowler and Cryx/Cygnar really gel as a team? Would it be better to just stick with Cryx/Cygnar models?

You don't necessarily want to start at 35 points. Warmachine is a game that rewards starting small and building up.
    You have two starters so that's great. Those are both good starting points.

When you do start expanding you will probably want to fill out your three units to ten-strong and maybe pick up some solos and alternative casters and jacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck777 View Post
    Yay! Mercenaries work exactly like I thought they did! That's good news!

Well its good to know I have more of an army than I thought I did!

However, do the units mesh well? Can Boomhowler and Cryx/Cygnar really gel as a team? Would it be better to just stick with Cryx/Cygnar models?
    The mercenary model cards should say who they will work for, but on that note you said old sets . . . are the cards you have from MKI or MKII?

Scout

Well, you lucked out when you got the Nyss and Boomhowler merc units since both are fairly popular in use across many armies. Boomhowler and co are used as a good tarpit unit and the Nyss are decent for all comers lists.

As mentioned before, it would be best to start off with just the starter boxes; as you get use to the game you can include the merc units. At least you don't have to spend much to get to the 35 point spot in either Cryx or Cygnar.

So Boomhowler and Nyss are good Mercs? Sweet! Glad I didn't buy duds!

I was rooting around in my 40k boxes and found a small box filled with Merc cards! Totally forgot I bought those, they are really helpful! I also see both units work for Trollbloods, which is GREAT because I want to make a Troll army once I get used to the game. I can't believe how I fell into such luck!

Question, I can see why the Nyss unit is a solid all arounder but why are the Boomhowlers considered good tarpits, Their offensive stats are not that bad...

I've been networking with a few Warmanhordes players IRL and on facebook and there is talk of starting up an escalation league!

My guess is that we would start at either the Battlebox/Warpack level or at 15 points. If we play at 15 points, I was thinking:

- Commander Coleman Stryker (+6)
    --- Lancer (6)
    --- Ironclad (7)

- Cylena Raefyll Nyss Hunters (7)

TOTAL: 14

OR

- War Witch Deneghra (+5)
    --- Deathripper (4)
    --- Deathripper (4)
    --- Slayer (6)

- Boomhowler & Co. (6)

TOTAL: 15

Which do you think is better?
    Last edited by Chuck777; 04-01-2012 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck777 View Post
    So Boomhowler and Nyss are good Mercs? Sweet! Glad I didn't buy duds!

I was rooting around in my 40k boxes and found a small box filled with Merc cards! Totally forgot I bought those, they are really helpful! I also see both units work for Trollbloods, which is GREAT because I want to make a Troll army once I get used to the game. I can't believe how I fell into such luck!

Question, I can see why the Nyss unit is a solid all arounder but why are the Boomhowlers considered good tarpits, Their offensive stats are not that bad...
    The Boomhowlers are medium based so they can cover a lot of table area, can not be trampled, and can block LoS to small based model. They are also tough on a roll of 4, 5, and 6 instead of 5 and 6. Lastly at ARM 16 blast damage needs higher then average rolls to force that tough check.

Tarpits are not about offence.