BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: IG sentinel

Outflank and get into combat with a devastator squad and tie them up.

Sentinels tend to do some things pretty well in my experience. Due to my poor reserves rolling they generally don't come in until turn 4 for me, but by that time everything's moved forward enough that I can snipe rear armour. Generally my sentinels will come in and make back their points on the first shooting, then usually get shot the next turn for easy killpoints.

I used to take scout sentinels with lascannons, but I realized that I could get a Vendetta to to the job for a better price, with twin-linked lascannons instead. I still may take multilaser sentinels, just to annoy marines and maybe get a couple casualties in.

Solo sentinels armed with an Autocannon are a legit addition to an IG army.

Scout

I personally like to run a squad of three with 2 autocannon and a missile launcher.

I've been thinking about adding hunter killer missiles to the autocannons.

as far as a single walker, I'd run with a bare bones multilaser or a flamer.

Veteran-Sergeant

It's weird,
    As an IG player I tend to want to field everything I own. The more stuff the more awesome. I've sort of sudo adopted this now that I write slightly better lists with more experience under my belt. My three favorite units in the IG Codex are The Deathstrike Missile Launcher, Penal Legion Squads and this very unit, the Scout Sentinel.

For 35pts you get a walker, a straight up walker.

Sure it's open topped, and it has a range 36" weapon with heavy 3 str6 AP 6, but that's the beauty of it. It's not a venerable dread, shrugging off lascannon shots to the face, going toe to toe with a landraider or some beast the 'Nids cooked up in there gross slime pits. This AV10 open topped chicken walker is a side liner! He appears in the back and starts blasting stuff or just jumping into CC with long fangs to hold them up for a turn or two, or three. If you're worried about reserve rolls, (I went through the same phase *sniff* I remember it like it was yesterday... how we grow up so fast) just put that baby (and I do mean baby) on the front line and scout him forward! Run directly at cover, some sort of cover because you'll need that cover save. Other than that it's on the field and running amok! Scoring side shots and having that threat of, "I'm right here, come close and you'll have to waste that amazing super CC unit of yours on me instead of that juicy 50man blob or that manticore that hasn't moved since turn 1!" You'd be surprised how long those silly things live on the table when played right, and in CC.... so weird the last really long in CC...

Brother-Sergeant

I have to agree wholeheartedly with everyone here who has had positive things to say about Scout Sentinels. I take them all the time (usually in a squad of two, but not always) armed with autocannons and hunter-killer missiles. I always outflank them and try to blast some side armour. They do very well for themselves largely because they are so relatively low on the threat list.

And they, surprisingly, last forever in CC. Nothing is more satisfying than holding some key unit up in assault for half the game. Don't expect them to slaughter Thunderwolves or anything, but Devastator squads? Absolutely.

Just treat them like everything else in the IG arsenal; they are completely disposable.

in smaller games i used to run a scout sentinel with a unit of Stormtroopers. push them through any cover you can and get them in close. give them cam nets to take full advantage of the cover and they can be a real pain in the backside whatever you give them (personally i used a heavy flamer to cover the stormies up close)

I have seriously considered including a squad of sentinels, but for two factors:
    1) They compete with the Valkyrie/Vendetta, and we all know about that.
    2) I don't have them, and probably wouldn't think about buying them, given other options I need to purchase.

Now, I'm only running two Vendettas right now, so I have a fast attack slot open (which is sometimes filled by a Hellhound, to little success). I probably won't buy another Vendetta until 6th hits, because the leaked rules worry me (has anyone played Vendettas with the leaked rules? One weapon destroyed result and they're useless!). Of course, the walker rules got super nerfed too, assuming the omissions weren't a mistake.

I think I'll just sit and wait for now.

I regularly used 3 x outflanking scout sentinels with autocannons. Always performed admirably.

Scout

When I'm not putting my stormtroopers in my vendetta, I outflank them, hopefully with an autocannon scout sentinel, so that the sentinel provides some close-combat protection and tank sniping, and the stormtroopers act as a suicide squad/distraction to kill a terminator squad or a synapse creature.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast