BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Piantbrushes

Scout

Default Piantbrushes

Are there good alternative paintbrushes to use other than those from Gamesworkshop?

OH MY EMPEROR YES! Like never use GW brushes they are cheaply made and way over priced! Go to your local art supply store (i.e. Michelle's) and grab some nice quality brushes to use. If you take good care of them they will treat you really well over the years.
    Ahhh- I might be having a heart attack!! I am over weight, over fifty and I am speedballing tranq darts and pure adrenaline!!

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Denied View Post
    OH MY EMPEROR YES! Like never use GW brushes they are cheaply made and way over priced! Go to your local art supply store (i.e. Michelle's) and grab some nice quality brushes to use. If you take good care of them they will treat you really well over the years.
    Standard GW brushes do fail often, but are farrr cheaper than art stores who charge waaaay loads per brush from what ive seen, however the 'evy metal brushes are a godsend
    For the Greater good.

Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    Standard GW brushes do fail often, but are farrr cheaper than art stores who charge waaaay loads per brush from what ive seen, however the 'evy metal brushes are a godsend
    Like you can find good quality cheap brushes from an art store, you just need to go to the right ones. I have an entire set ranging from big fat 5 down to 0pt tips that I got for like $20, and they are great quality.

Yes, if your not careful you could end up paying like $80 per brush for the super high end unicorn hair brushes that snobby wanna be artist buy (because real artist can't afford them).
    Ahhh- I might be having a heart attack!! I am over weight, over fifty and I am speedballing tranq darts and pure adrenaline!!

First-Captain

Well Im just saying some areas, GW is the only value brushes.
    For the Greater good.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Denied View Post
    Like you can find good quality cheap brushes from an art store, you just need to go to the right ones. I have an entire set ranging from big fat 5 down to 0pt tips that I got for like $20, and they are great quality.

Yes, if your not careful you could end up paying like $80 per brush for the super high end unicorn hair brushes that snobby wanna be artist buy (because real artist can't afford them).
    I'm sorry... this simply isn't true. "Real" artists use the proper tools for their craft. Not many graphic designers using Microsoft Paint to produce their work. The premier minis painters aren't using craft store brushes.

In actuality, the new GW brushes are a pretty good value for their price. You're not going to get the sorts of brushes you want or need from your local craft store for $20 a set. The materials those brushes will be made of will most likely be synthetic (bad for painting miniatures as they are far too stiff) and theyll have poor binding at the ferrule (metal part connecting bristle and handle).

If you're going to paint miniatures, and you want to do it well, start with the right tools and maintain those tools. If you take care of your three Winsor Newtons or Raphaels, they'll last much longer than anything you'll pick up at an art store and they'll be of higher quality the entire time.

With paintbrushes, you get what you pay for. Can you use some of those cheap, crappy, art store brushes for drybrusing or painting terrain or painting miniature bases? Definitely. But don't let anyone fool you into thinking thats what you should be using for the rest of your mini.

Other companies:
    Reaper - Actually pretty high quality. About the same price point as GW.
    Army Painter - good quality hair, a step above GW. I don't like the handles, so I don't buy. YMMV.
    Windsor & Newton Series 7 - Only thing I use for detailing. Responsive hair that maintains a great point.
    Raphael's - Not used em yet, but a buddy really likes them. Similar to the Series 7s, I'm told.

www.queencityguard.com

Adeptus Custodes

I was able to get two very good brushes for about 2 euro at an art shop. They were fine detail or smaller. I'd recommend it based on my experience.
    More Necromunda please.

Scout

Thanks for the info.
    So as long as it's not synthetic hair, I should be good.

Iron Father

Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    Their evy metal brushes I suspect maybe another brand with just the GW stamp, but I could be wrong.

Personally I use Winsor Newton Series 7 brushes which you can find on eBay. These have made an nice improvement to my painting.

Proper care of your brushes will also not only prolong their life but benefit your painting. I never have the paint "fill" the brush but just load paint onto the tip and I now use a wet palette too. Always clean them with lots of water between colours too. Some people make the mistake of using a small dish of water to clean a brush. I fill a large drinking glass and a good swish in a big glass is much better. I store my brushes upright in the tubes they came with and always replace the clear plastic sleeve over the bristles the brush.

Oh and has was mentioned in a similar thread recently................you must lick or suck or brush to a point just before you pack it away

Quality brushes may seem over priced but going cheaper imo is false economy. With proper care a good quality brush will far outlive its cheaper synthetic alternative.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

if you live in the UK try rosemary & co....she makes all her own brushes. i believe her son used to paint 40K figs so he can advise on your needs

[url]https://www.rosemaryandco.com/index.php?cPath=275&osCsid=7scenj5dvqatfm1q2ba4qq8 367[/url]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast