BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Piantbrushes

Veteran-Sergeant

GW aren't bad, my problem is they don't make a small enough brush. But if you want really high quality brushes at a good price check out Windsor & Newton, and Davinci. Extremely good brushes, I absolutely love them, and if you go to coolminiornot, and check out any of the really good artist there and ask them what brushes they use. they'll say the same.
    Don't get brushes from michael's or other craft stores. You need to get brushes that use kolisky sable hair for the brushes.

Go to a craft supply store like Hobby Lobby or Michaels. They have very large ranges of brushes for all kinds of artists. You could also go to an art store like Dick Blick. I have used GW brushes, Plaid brushes, Winsor, Kolinsky, etc.

The GW standard brush is junk. I use it as a small drybrush. The GW starter brush is better but the bristles have a tendency to separate. Plaid brushes are perfect for most miniatures painting. Winsor and Kolinsky brushes are great for fine detail as they provide better paint flow and control.

Never spend more than $10 for a brush. Anything more is window dressing.

Unless looking for a single small brush, always try to buy brushes in sets as you save $ and get several that you need.
    Last edited by pathwinder14; 02-09-2012 at 06:53 AM.
    "Wisdom means having the ability to admit what you do not know."

Chapter-Master

Aren't Series 7s typically over $10 bucks?

www.queencityguard.com

Veteran-Sergeant

Raphael 8404 is very nice, I can highly recommend trying them out.

Use what you like, but be open to try something different now and then otherwise you will miss good opportunities.

I use a size 1 Raphael 8404, a size 00 Winsor & Newton Series 7 miniatures brush, and a size 000 Winsor & Newton Series 7 miniatures brush.

Purchased them all from Dickblick.com. You'll be hard pressed to find somewhere that can beat their prices for high quality paint brushes and supplies.

You might just be lucky enough, as I was, to benefit from their packing practices. I ordered one Raphael 8404 to try it out and they sent me a tube of five for the price of one brush. Awesome day that was.

These brushes are all expensive...ranging from 10 USD to 15 USD, but if you clean them after use(and I don't just mean dip them in water you should be using brush cleaner as well) they will last a long time. I made a Raphael last for almost two years before the point finally gave out on me. Now it's a Wash brush.

I've had the "you pay too much for brushes" argument before. The same people who brag about getting results with cheap brushes will be reluctant to tell you how many of those "cheap" brushes they go through over time.

Librarian

My current favorite brushes I have worked with are by Armypainter. The brushes are of good quality and have lastedme well over a year already since I started painting. The nice part is is they have this triangle shaped handle that fits so comfortably in your hand, i love it.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/rlocke2/551391_4297044038379_634463020_n.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12