BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Scout

I just emailed the guy through ebay after following that link.

I asked him where I can send him my money so that he can con me out of it by not delivering and giving me the run around about being in the hospital and having no internet.

A legit business operator does not simply "get sick, can't pay their bills and so lose internet connections and can't respond." If they only respond when you get an authority involved (even if it's EBay or the cc company), you can be 99.999% certain what follows is a lie.

It's a standard ploy by scam artists or people 1) who took on too much work and now can't complete or 2) got behind in other bills and used your deposit to pay them and now can complete.

Make sure you don't give more than a 50% deposit for anything ,ever. If they even ask for more, just end the relationship right then and there. 50% represents a good faith number in both directions. If they expect you to pony up more than that up front, that's a red flag that they may be more interested in getting the money in their pocket than worrying about trivialities like delivery.

The only time I'd make an exception is if I knew materials represented more than 50% in which case I'd go no higher than cost of materials. Even then, I'd be leery about going over the 50% mark.

Equally, it goes without saying that if their price is too good to be true, assume it is.

EDIT: I should say that I've been around construction most of my life as well as spent a bit of time in medieval life recreation. The stories don't change regardless of the trade involved. You hear the same excuses and see the same behavior from building contractors who can't get their work done as from people who are supposedly providing custom work for hobbyists. The most joy occurs when you hear from someone who tried to get the work complete and ends up sued by the contractor in a proactive strike over "approved extra work" whose price was never discussed.
    Last edited by inquisitorsog; 05-29-2012 at 01:40 PM.
    If this is the way mankind ends up, I'm rooting for the Orks.

Default Good Luck! May the Truth Prevail!

I just logged into eBay and sent TitanMech a polite message saying that he might want to look into this. Good luck!
    Looking for a game in the San Antonio area? You can find me here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/175757472448931/

And why is hiss feedback still 100%, you should post your experiences there. Link to this thread if you can

Quote Originally Posted by Brandoncbaker View Post
    And why is hiss feedback still 100%, you should post your experiences there. Link to this thread if you can
    I also notice that this guys feedback is entirely through purchases... that's at least a small red flag when making a big purchase... I sent him a link to this thread in the eBay message I sent to him... cheers, all!
    Looking for a game in the San Antonio area? You can find me here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/175757472448931/

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by NurglesRot View Post
    I just emailed the guy through ebay after following that link.

I asked him where I can send him my money so that he can con me out of it by not delivering and giving me the run around about being in the hospital and having no internet.
    so you've attacked someone based on no more than another persons word on the internet?

bravo sir you idiot.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Brandoncbaker View Post
    I can not leave feedback as the purchase is over the time period allowed for leaving feedback.
    The world is Chaotic, so why not join the party. Slaanesh welcomes you with open arms. Certa Cito

Librarian

I followed the link to the 2 Titans he has for sale. I contacted the seller and left amessage demanding that he refund me the money for the 7 month old sale. I have warned him that both EBay and PayPal are investigating him, and that If he does not communicate with me and refund the money owed, I will take him to court, continue to warn others about his business practices via websites like this, and let GW know that he is infringing on their IP by making and selling Warlord Titans.

Yes that last part is - just like the post calling the kettle black, however anyone who buys miniatures from chapterhouse, or any other company that skirts the GW IP is just as much a black pot as I am.
    The world is Chaotic, so why not join the party. Slaanesh welcomes you with open arms. Certa Cito

Daemonette, I hope you get whatever you are due if you've been wronged. I also hope that this guy comes to understand that this hobby community is small enough that it's not a good idea to screw over folks... word gets around.

As far as the IP thing: I don't think it's a big issue. I'm pretty sure that it's within folks' rights to build scratch built models... I could (for instance) sculpt a model of [URL="http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAPTAIN-AMERICA-SUPERHERO-AVENGERS-STRING-VOODOO-DOLL-KEYCHAIN-HANDMADE-KID-GIFT-/150826244377?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231df1 d919"]Captain America out of string[/URL] and sell it without worrying about impinging on Marvel's rights... I'd just be selling a hand crafted item. That being said, I'm sure that you can find lawyers (and would be lawyers) who will argue otherwise...

Cheers. Good luck...

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Copeland View Post

As far as the IP thing: I don't think it's a big issue. I'm pretty sure that it's within folks' rights to build scratch built models......
    I think it's the selling it, not the building it that's the infringement

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast