BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I like the fact that the whole Heresy is based on the rise and fall of Lucifer from heaven.

Chaplain

I've just finished Know no Fear so at the moment my favourite reference is Oll's reference to ancient greek myths

Brother-Sergeant

In Fulgrim, There is an extended "Blayke" reference. The thing is their philosophies actually match up 100% with excess being the road to enlightenment.

Brother-Sergeant

There's a reference in one of the HH audio books to Malcador the Sigilite having the Mona Lisa hanging in his quarters. Also there's a reference to re-discovering all three of Shakespear's plays.

That Shakespeare one always made me smile. And I think there's a referrence to the city of Nova Yoruk in the underbelly of Terra or something, but Im not positive if that was in the HH...

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by iheartgrimdark View Post
    There's a reference in one of the HH audio books to Malcador the Sigilite having the Mona Lisa hanging in his quarters. Also there's a reference to re-discovering all three of Shakespear's plays.
    In the original Klingon?

the Eisenstein is an obvious reference to the famous Soviet director Sergei Eisenstein, whose major films include "The battleshop Potemkin", "Alexander Nevsky" and "October : Ten days that shook the world".

The Heresy itself IMHO refers to the Bible, and more precisely the rebellion of several angels led by Lucifer against their father, God.

The novel "The last Church" in Tales of Heresy mentions a silver bridge, depending on interpretation, it is either the bridge leading from Mainland Scotland to the Isle of Skye (according to Graham McNeil) or, as I prefer to see it, the famous silver bridge linking Granbretan to mainland Europe in Michael Moorcock's Hawkmoon books.

That's all I can think of from the top of my head.
    "There are no desperate situations. There are only desperate people." Commissar-Lord Brusilov

In almost all of them they reference the 'Romanii' or Romans in some way or another.
    Malcador has the Mona Lisa hanging in his private chambers (either in the Assassins novel or the 'something' Dead one)

may I append to the original request for references that they also have brief explanations of the reference if they are not obviously clear.

Brother-Sergeant

Does London get name-checked somewhere along the line? Lundun?

Chaplain

One of my favourite references so far is in Know No Fear, near the end, where Oll makes a reference to "trench war style, like they were taught all those years ago in the mud outside... Verdun?"

Presumably a reference to the Battle of Verdun in the First World War.
    We Will Strike With The Arms Of Gods
    And Leave Nothing In Our Wake

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast