BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Dark Eldar: Agoniser vs. Huskblade

Just got my new Archon kit, and I still dont know what to equip him with, either Agoniser or Huskblade and Soul Trap. What do you run and why?

Chapter-Master

I run Agoniser/Blast Pistol

Huskblades are great. But you're only S3 unless you roll lucky on combat drugs (and give said drugs to your dude) or join a unit thats already got 2 tokens to get FC.

So you need to kill a MC or an IC to get S6 (theres still a chance to fail, even if you do kill one). Most MC's will laugh in the face of S3 so they're out. Leaves you with IC. All Marine ones are T4 or better so you need 5's. And them to have no invulnerable or fail it. You only need one to get through but its a long shot. Probably hitting on 3's, wounding on 5's...even with just a 5++ you're going to score less than one wound if you math hammer it. So its still shoody

Yes you can shoot to weaken, or gain it ...but thats a gamble

Agoniser on the other hand...reliable wound (always on a 4+), which as a S3 is the usual best roll you get (not much T2 outthere) and its a power weapon. yes its not got ID, but against 95% of targets, one wound is enough.

Of course the other option is Huskblade + Soultrap AND Agoniser...expensive, can only use one weapon a turn...but use the agoniser to get that first kill, then S6 ID it up....but by that point they might not be much left to use it on
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

I have used the Huskblade/ Soul Trap combo for over a year now, and it has worked out very good so far. True, the Archon is only S3, but I either use Duke Sliscus along with my Archon to double the chance of the re-roll to Wound, or trust on the Archons skills to wound . But seriously, for an generic HQ the Archon is very, very good, and you'll roll at least one 5 or 6 if you're attacking an IC. And once that Archon is Str. 6 oh boy... The party has really started.

Brother-Sergeant

The Agonizer is a reliable choice, but personally I like using the Djinn Blade along with a Soul Trap and a Venom Blade for a cheap backup. Because the Djinn Blade is wargear, it doesn't replace a ccw, so you can still get the +1 Attack bonus for dual-wielding.

I tend to go with an Agoniser unless I'm playing Tau, SoB or IG.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chaplain

Only recently started actually caring about my DE and am no expert but I find the Agonsier better as it's an all rounder weapon, it will wound everything on a 4+ and cost 15 points less then the Huskblade. I personally feel the huskblade is a dedicated weapon and is a waste of points when killing basic soldiers even marines. My current Archon weighs in at 125 pts and has so far impressed me, the three games I've won where basically him doing everything (embarrassing the amount of trouble he pulled me out of). I'm still figuring the army out and trying to adjust my play style as well.
    Battle Sisters Record 2012 2/0/0
    Empire Record 2012 1/0/3

Librarian

I would go Agonizer every time. Huskblade has too many issues with just wounding, and soul trap means that you HAVE to get into a difficult fight with a tougher IC or monstrous creature in order to make good use of it. For a fraction of the investment I get a reliable weapon and a 2++ save to keep me alive. The pain tokens will make the unit he is attached to much better.

But ignore the blast pistol/shooting whatever you choose. You will almost always want to run to get your CC models into perfect arrangement to pull off those multicharges and character kills. I can think of maybe 1 instance in the last few MONTHS where I wanted a blast pistol on anything.

Oh, I was thinking of Djinn Blades (where extra attacks are more use than always wounding on 4+). I don't take huskblades.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

My djinn blade + soul-trap invariably instakills my Archon once he has taken a soul and becomes S6. It's a measly 1in6 chance to roll doubles and hit yourself and failing a shadowfield hit to your own S6 hit is only funny for your opponent. lol. At least until later. I've done it enough times to not think the extra 2 attacks are worth it.

As for the agonizer, I find rolling a 4+ is a crapshoot and 'mathhammering' it out, I only average 2 wounds on a basic 6 attack charge. While it sucks to charge a S3 huskblade archon into a squad of marines and roll no 5's, I think it's way more satisfying and potentially game changing to have the huskblade combo and hunt ICs/monsters. Of course, you are paying a 25pt premium for that. Going with reliable cheap 1 or 2 wounds may be more your style. I just never seem to be impressed with agonizers. YMMV

Huskblade/Soultrap/Blaster

that's right. a blaster. Get that kill from a safe distance away, and you're now str6. rampage ahoy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast