BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I use the vallejo brush on black primer for heads. I find that you can control it better then with a spray can. Purchased mine on ebay, came with anitshine additive, and dry retarder, all of which are great stuff.

Vallejo works, there's also some I've seen in arts and crafts stores ,but those seem hit or miss as to finding in stock.

When I first got started painting minis (in earnest), I used gray testors enamel as a brush on primer. I've not used in quite a while and it isn't water soluble, but if you don't find something that works for you, that may be worth a shot. That said, I've not used it in nearly 20 years, so I don't know if they've changed formula.

Whatever you do end up trying, always try it out on a scrap model or bit of sprue first. I once got to spend a lot of time scraping about 50 minis to get off a "primer" that wouldn't stick.

Black or white gesso from Golden.High quality stuff, shrinks when it dries to keep detail.Its almost impossible to goop on too much of the stuff.
    As a bonus, its very flexible when dry.I used to have problems with flaking paint on things like tree armatures made from soft plastic. This stuff just takes all the hard knocks and sticks.

I've had the best luck with the Vallejo primer, both with airbrush (thinned a bit) and regular brush. Won't go back to the other stuff.

I've never thought to use gesso. I'll have to give that a try. I normally prime with Duplicolor sandable primer, which works fine, but I have been thinking about trying a brush on primer. Thanks for the tip.

Scout

Reaper Makes an excellent brush on primer. I have used both black and white and they turn out great.

Veteran-Sergeant

since the day after i posted this thread ive been using goldens black gesso primer ALOT. this stuff has been superb, whether doing an entire model or just touch ups after i use spray on, it is a staple to my painting!!

I've had great luck with black gesso. Had a hard time actually finding it in my area as every store I went to was sold out and if it was in stock someone had squeezed most of it out of the bottle. You can brush it on fairly liberally and it does not obscure the details once it has dried and shrunk. You do need a touch up here and there after the shrinking but its a great alternative when the weather does not allow for spray priming. If I'm worried a model has alot of detail and and it may be possibly obscured I thin it with a bit of water.
    It was also recommended to me to get the gesso that is in a squeeze bottle as it is supposed to be a thinner consistency.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by 1crazygamer View Post
    Reaper Makes an excellent brush on primer. I have used both black and white and they turn out great.
    Reaper primers and paints are very nice.

Scout

I've had good experience with the brush on Vallejo white primer. I haven't found a good brush on black primer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12