BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Do you play campaigns in either 40k or WFB?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, regularly.

10 32.26%
  • Sometimes

11 35.48%
  • Very rarely

4 12.90%
  • Never.

6 19.35%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Do you play campaigns?

I'm of the opinion that the best way to enjoy this hobby is through campaigns, whether it be Necromunda, 40k or WFB. Yet from what I read it seems a lot of people don't seem to bother with campaigns. So I thought I'd start a poll and see how common campaigns are amongst the BoLs community.

My group generally has two, big narrative driven campaigns a year, two competitive tournaments and two painting tournaments for each major game system and one or two campaigns for Necromunda and Mordheim and one Gorkamorka campaign each year. Sometimes there are some little smaller campaigns organised by members that aren't 'official' club events.
    Last edited by eldargal; 02-16-2012 at 08:00 AM.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

My friends and I keep talking about doing a campaign, we all want to play one, it's just finding the time to organise one and then getting people committted to playing reguarlarly. It's rare that everyone in our gaming circle is free at the same time so we tend to play on an ad hoc basis, which makes organised campaigns more difficult.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Chapter-Master

Got a long Necromunda campaign afoot, play whenever we get an hour or so.

Would play a 40k campaign if I had a frakkin' group big enough to play one
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    My friends and I keep talking about doing a campaign, we all want to play one, it's just finding the time to organise one and then getting people committted to playing reguarlarly. It's rare that everyone in our gaming circle is free at the same time so we tend to play on an ad hoc basis, which makes organised campaigns more difficult.
    This. Well, this, and now that I've had to relocate to the *** end of nowhere, I don't even know if or where I'll be able to find a new gaming group.

A campaign does sound like it would be great, though.
    Armies Played (in order of acquisition)
    Crons, SW, SM, Tau, 1k Sons, IG, Nids, BA, DE

Brother-Captain

I've tried a few here and there, its a great concept that just never pans out on the table.

I prefer individual scenarios, rather then ones linked to a prior game - and since these are usually team things - I ended up with a net determent in the next game thanks to my team mates performances!

Not to mention the inherent issues of getting people together, the shear amount of time and behind the sense work...and I think the biggest reason is that fluff and game play never match - so trying to make it make in a campaign feels very self defeating. IE a story is a story and a game is a game!
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

Occuli Imperator

For my group of gamers I created a campaign, mighty empires style, and we got two or three games in and then it one or two couldn't make it and it all fell apart

Brother-Sergeant

I would do more campaigns if I was able to find a new gaming group. Having not one but two FLGSs shot out from beneath you tends to make keeping the old group together difficult.

I really liked the global campaigns GW did a few years back, Medusa V and Nemesis Crown, and I wish GW did more of those.

Shas'o

I've never played a campaign but I want to. Just not enough time or people with enough time.
    When you do something right people wont be sure that you've done anything at all.

Veteran-Sergeant
    Leicester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

I have just started one with my gaming group, and i must say, it is a lot of fun. The first game was hilarious when the goal wasn't simply killing each other, but making a cool story. I'm currently making a campaign booklet to go with it, once finished i will almost certainly upload it for all you Bols folks to also enjoy.

I do play Campaigns but very rarely and it tends to be I'll play each one, only once, or at least only once against each player. I like the narrative of a campaign but tend to find they are a forgone conclusion be the time you get half way through.

I've been writing one myself for my Nids to Play against Marines. This one is written so the victor can't be decided until you've played at least 5 of the 6 missions. I should have the final mission written within a week. You can find it on [URL="http://www.chaptermasters.com"]www.chaptermasters.com[/URL] if you'd like to have a look.
    Rogue Trader since 1991.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast