BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default Blood Angels Mech 1.5k

I've been having a lot of trouble beating my friend's IG tank list with my Descent of Angels list, and it's causing me to question the utility of a purely Descent of Angels-based list. In an effort to not ragequit in frustration in the coming campaign, which will involve my IG friend, some Necrons, and some Tyranids, I've decided to try creating a list that has the resiliency of fast Blood Angels mechanization with at least a little of the Descent of Angels I love.

HQ
    * Librarian w/Terminator Armor and Storm Shield (Sanguine Sword, Shield of Sanginius)

Elites
    * 5 Assault Terminators (2 Hammer, 3 Claws)
    * 1 Sanguinary Priest

Troops
    * 5 Assault Marines in a Rhino (1 Power Fist)
    * 5 Assault Marines in a Laserback (1 Meltagun, 1 Power Fist)
    * 5 Assault Marines in a Laserback (1 Meltagun, 1 Power Fist)

Fast Attack
    * 5 Vanguard Veterans (Power Weapons and Meltabombs for all vets, Hammer on the Sergeant)

Heavy Support
    * Stormraven w/Assault Cannons and Multi-Melta
    * Dreadnought w/Multi-Melta, Heavy Flamer

The idea is that the stormraven carries the terminators and librarian into battle. The sanguinary priest goes in the rhino (which got busted from razorback to help pay for the priest), which rushes into the thickest part of the fighting so he can give the terminators and vets Furious Charge and Feel No Pain with his boosted aura.

What do you think? Is this how mech is done?

Chapter-Master

hmmm....

this is not really mechanized...

my 1000 point list has more mech in it. and that's 4 units 13 front armor, too. (not including transports)

Mechanized usually have at least 6 tanks. But you said you wanted to make a hybrid list? Why is your DOA failing? How does it fail?
    "Wisdom means having the ability to admit what you do not know."

Occuli Imperator

One of the great things about a BA force is that you can have fast tanks.
    The vindicator for instance is brilliant in a BA list as you can still move and fire.
    The other thing I would suggest that a squad of 5 vanguard vets on their own are a little expensive, they are essentially just as tough as a 5 man assault squad but have a one use wonder in assaulting from deepstrike.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by pathwinder14 View Post
    Mechanized usually have at least 6 tanks. But you said you wanted to make a hybrid list? Why is your DOA failing? How does it fail?
    One of my primary opponents - and a participant in an upcoming campaign I'm running with some other friends - plays an Imperial Guard parking lot, sometimes with heavy reserving and an astropath to deny me the alpha strike. Virtually every game against him involves my army dropping out of the sky and then being wiped off the map in a turn or two. He has an enormous number of lascannons, plasma cannons, and some kind of awful S10 blast template thing. His chimeras make it impossible for me to take out his veteran squads, who are equipped with a truly obscene number of plasma and melta weapons, which make a mockery of Feel No Pain and power armor, two of my primary advantages. Or, at least, the two advantages which are supposed to make it possible for a Descent of Angels army to fall out of the sky, withstand a round of shooting, and then get into the assault.

I'm, by nature, the kind of player who likes to balance fluff, competitiveness, and painting, but I really don't think I'll enjoy the campaign if there's a player in it who regularly plasters me with no hope of victory. So, I've been trying to figure out what I need to do in terms of tactics and list-building to have a chance against this guy. I've come to the opinion that DoA just doesn't have the resiliency to deal with a list that is A) this tough to crack and B) throws out this many AP 1 and 2 shots. What I'm looking for here is a new tactic.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPaladin View Post
    One of my primary opponents - and a participant in an upcoming campaign I'm running with some other friends - plays an Imperial Guard parking lot, sometimes with heavy reserving and an astropath to deny me the alpha strike. Virtually every game against him involves my army dropping out of the sky and then being wiped off the map in a turn or two. He has an enormous number of lascannons, plasma cannons, and some kind of awful S10 blast template thing. His chimeras make it impossible for me to take out his veteran squads, who are equipped with a truly obscene number of plasma and melta weapons, which make a mockery of Feel No Pain and power armor, two of my primary advantages. Or, at least, the two advantages which are supposed to make it possible for a Descent of Angels army to fall out of the sky, withstand a round of shooting, and then get into the assault...
    Are you using any Vanguard Vets? For an alpha strike DOA list to work, they are mandatory.
    "Wisdom means having the ability to admit what you do not know."

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by pathwinder14 View Post
    Are you using any Vanguard Vets? For an alpha strike DOA list to work, they are mandatory.
    Vanguard Vets are just so freaking expensive. They don't even come with jump packs - you have to buy them. I haven't tried them against my IG opponent yet, but I've been underwhelmed by them in my other games.

With regards to the IG, I don't think they'd be that effective. They will charge the tanks and transports, blow up a couple of them if I'm lucky - stun, shake, or fail to penetrate if I'm not - and then die to concentrated fire from the inhabitants of the tanks on my opponent's turn. This wouldn't be so bad if the Vanguard Vets were priced as a throwaway unit, but as I wrote, they're so damned pricey...

EDIT:

Alternately, the Vets could assault the targets inside the transports after my standard marines drop and pop them with meltaguns (I field the standard two assault squads with two meltaguns and a power fist each). Then, if I'm lucky (and assault cleverly) I can keep them in combat during my opponent's shooting phase and destroy them in his assault phase. If I can kit the vets out for both assault and tank-busting, I can then use them to bust successive tanks, even if my opponent manages to wipe out or cripple my assault squads. However, this strategy requires two things that have proved unlikely:

1) Multiple angles of attack on the tanks, which my opponent is usually canny enough to prevent via castling.

2) My assault marines need to pop the transport. I don't know if I'm just unlucky, but they don't usually seem to do that with any reliability.
    Last edited by ElectricPaladin; 02-17-2012 at 03:05 PM.

Chapter-Master

So, here's another attempt at mech. This list has a bad combination of involving several models I'd need to buy and not looking like a lot of fun - I've managed to include a couple of the fun, interesting things that I enjoy, but I'll bet they take the most heat in commentary - but I'm curious if this is more like it.

HQ
    * Gabriel Seth (Fielded as a counts-as for a made of captain of my own invention)
    - Honor Guard w/2 Flamer & Power Weapon Guys, 2 Meltagun Guys
    - Mounted in a Rhino

Elites
    * Librarian Dreadnought (Shield and Wings)

Troops
    * Assault Squad w/1 Meltagun in a Laserback
    * Scout Squad w/Camo Cloaks, 4 Sniper Rifles, 1 Missile Launcher

Fast Attack
    * Baal Predator w/Twin-Linked Autcannons

Heavy Support
    * Vindicator w/Siege Shield

Brother-Sergeant

Try blood lance. It shoots multiple units/vehicles if you are lucky. And I always use a librarian with terminator armor and a storm shield with blood lance and blood boil.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPaladin View Post
    Fast Attack
    Baal can't have autocannons. Assaultcannons or flamestorm cannon only

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast