BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Chaplain

Default Base Size Question

Is there any concrete rule which requires models to be on specific bases?

A fellow player whom I've never actually battled decided to criticize and argue about my Black Templar character on a bike. The bike was on a heavy weapons team sized base. This was necessary because I made it into a chopper with extended forks so it'd not fit on a bike base. Also because I didn't have any such bases!

His view was this base made my model illegal and he would not allow it in a game if he played me. Basing his argument on the assault phase.

I pointed out to him that the size of the base really doesn't matter. In fact, the base's larger size would be a negative for me in assault. Since models have to be in base to base contact anyone assaulting my Templar would be able to put more models in contact with him than if it were on a normal bike base.

Anyway, to me this kind of nit picking nonsense irks me and so I want to know if there actually is a rule about base size.

Librarian

All I can find is Pg 3 of the main rule book -

Bases

Citadel miniatures are normally supplied with a plastic base. If so, they must be glued onto their bases before they can be used in th game.

Some players like to mount their models on impressive scenic bases. As mounting your models on different-sized bases might affect the way they interact with th rules, make sure before the game that your opponent does not mind this.

It does seem a hard and fast rule to me.

Personally I wouldn't mind that you put it on a larger base.
    My son, ask for thyself another Kingdom, for that which I leave is too small for thee.

Chaplain

Thanks. So according to that there is a rule. But really it comes down to opponent's consent. And I hate nit picky opponents. A large base like I said would benefit an opponent more than me. If I ever play this guy and he refuses my biker I'll simply have to punish him by beating the snot out of his army.

Librarian

There are only 2 100% no-nos for bases:

1) They may not be smaller than the base provided with the model

2) Canis Wolfborn must use ONLY his supplied base size and may not increase or decrease its dimensions for any reason.

However, you SHOULD use the base most similar in size to the supplied base. For bikes, take a look and see what the over-sized Ork Warboss on a Bike from Forgeworld is supplied with, and see if that is acceptable to your opponent.

Only time I've ever complained about base size was when a tournament player showed up with his old Eldar jetbikes, and their 1-inch hex stand bases. Meant he had a huge advantage for range and assaults against my own new Eldar Jetbikes.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by thecactusman17 View Post
    There are only 2 100% no-nos for bases:

1) They may not be smaller than the base provided with the model
    That was a 4th ed. rule, it does not exist in the current rule set.

Occuli Imperator

As David5th pointed out there is only one official rule.
    This issue comes up quite frequently especially people with slightly older minature collections, for instance the size difference between old and new terminator bases, the old hexagonal flying bases verse the new larger plastic ones.
    None of my bikes are on bases but it they will be, eventually, and the attack bikes will be going on a heavy weapon sized base.

Base size is not much of an issue for Bikes, especially if the bases are round, as you are using. If you have one character on a slightly larger base and it makes sense for the size of the model, it is unlikely that any reasonable opponent would object.

Reading between the lines of your original post, either the guy you haven't played is unreasonable or you have made playing you unpleasant enough that he anticipates not having fin playing toy soldiers (even in a casual environment) with you. If he's just unreasonable, nothing you can do about it. If your play is very TFG, maybe you'll want to do something different so people want to play more games with you. I don't know what the case is, but any time I hear about minor semi-rules issues like this causing trouble with casual play, it raises a red flag for me that at least one party is probably not someone that would be a lot of fun to play with.
    Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful. - Nathanael Greene

Chapter-Master

I'd like to add to JWolf's final point;

Just because other peopl ein your gaming group will play against you doesn't mean that the fault doesn't lie with you. In years gone by there were a couple of gamers who were less than fun to play against at my local store. Complete WAAC players, full on rules lawyering on everything (at least to minimise what you did, while conveiniently forgetting bits when it was their turn). Because of the number of people wanting to game and the number of tables, these guys usually got a game, but they were very much considered the boobyprize by most players. I left the store before they did, but I haven't seen them in a good few years and having returned now, the general atmosphere without them is significantly better and far more enjoyable.
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

Chapter-Master

At the last tournament I went to, I saw girl complain about "I hate when people model for advantage". The offending model? A fenrisian wolf on a small base. Fenrisian wolves don't even have models, and you can stick the conversions on whatever base you want legally. Nor is the difference between a small base and a cavalry base a significant one.

As for your case, though, larger bases in general are a disadvantage. You run a bigger risk while deepstriking, it's easier to get caught up on terrain or blocked by enemy models, and you can't fit as many dudes into close combat. Your opponent should be thanking you.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chaplain

Let's just say I live in a place that the light of the Emperor does not shine upon. I've been into 40k for 15 years. But it took me years to convince a friend of mine to get into the game. Then he got his best friend into it. And another guy. The one I mentioned in this topic. And I only ever got to play against the first two a handful of times. Both have moved out of state so now there is no more gaming. There isn't a club here. Let alone a store that sells the models. I'd have to drive some 3 hours to such a place. Oh wait...I can't! My car is dead. So for me I make the best out of the least here. Which means mostly making models. That's how come my Templar biker wound up on a heavy weapons team base. Since I have ample time to make custom models and I don't have easy access to models, I tend to just make what I can with what I have. The bike came from an old one from when I first started playing. Extended its forks. And the only base I had it would fit was that one. I do wish I could play much more though! With guys who really know the rules and don't nit pick and quibble to death over it all.

When I first began playing there were three others before I got my friend into it. They were only around for a few months. And one of them was the biggest cheat I've ever seen! In one battle he plunked down a hunk of wood in the vague shape of a Landraider and said "this is a Landraider. Can I use it?" I allowed it. And he had "The Torsoless Rider of Sleepy Hollow" chaplain on a bike. A pair of legs on a bike. That's it. And in every turn that model had a different weapon. One turn I'm zapped by plasma. The next by a melta. Then whacked by a thunderhammer. Then fileted by a set of lightning claws! And I put up with this nonsense just to play. But I long to play some guys who play fair and right and are easy going when it comes to the game.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast