BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Have you heard of Vassal? The 40k module for it allows you to play online, with a little abstraction (as it can only deal with 2 dimentsions, so LOS can be a little tricky), with anyone around the world. It does lack the tactile element of the game, but if you are desperate for a proper game, it's at least something.
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

Chaplain

I've never heard of it all. To be honest these days for me my best way to experience 40k beyond making models is playing the PS3 game or Dawn of War.

The best fix i have found for display bases is to make a bevel for a normal sized base on your display base so you can lift him out of the oversized base for when base size matters, that or have some kind of terrian or paint marker to the normal base size on the oversized base to allow correct measuring and assulting.

if there is such hatred of you templar biker perhaps you could cut-down the side of the base to a more oval shape? other than that there isn't anything you can really do.
    haters are gonna hate.

this is all great advice. I've heard that some tournies actually award victory points for full decorated bases. What do you think about that?

Chaplain

All I've ever done to my bases is put grass on them and color code the rims according to squads. Helps me to keep my units together.
    The Eye of Skreebo is upon ye. Skreebo expects.

Chapter-Master

Yeh, a few tournaments have some form of soft score for having a fully based army, similar to having a fully painted army. Some will doc you points for not having a fully based/painted army instead. Others just don't care, so check your tournament rules pack before to find out and/or consult yout TO if unsure.

That said, having a proper base really finishes a model, and of course an army, and really makes an unimaginable difference. When you think about it, the base is as much a part of the model as any other componant, so why not devote as much energy and love into painting/decorating it properly as you would the model's weapons or arms?
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

Chaplain

The only base I ever did more than the basics was for a heavy weapons missile launcher team. And for it I just made a kind of impromptu defensive position. I used leftover plates and hatches from various tanks to assemble a kind of semi-circular wall in front of the team. Knicking up the plates with my knife and painting them to look banged up and stuff. I then used some green stuff to make it look like they had piled up some earth around as well. The result was a very crude looking defensive position. But normally, by the the time I finish a squad, I just have no enthusiasm to do much to the base. The one and only thing I absolutely insist on doing is assigning a color to the squad and painting it on the rim. I'm tired of taking models off the table to put in the grave yard only to end up wasting time trying to remember who goes in what squad.
    The Eye of Skreebo is upon ye. Skreebo expects.

Veteran-Sergeant

I had to use the terminator bases for my metal vanguard vets because the supplied bases were just too small. The metal jump pack would cause them never stand up and they were always falling. So I put them on the bigger bases and never had an issue with it. Someone at the local store I played outside of Fort Knox tried to ***** about it until I quoted page 3 from the rule book. Yet when the Blood Angels came with their fancy plastic jump packs, I put them on my vets and then put them back on their original sized bases.

Brother-Captain

I had to use the terminator bases for my metal vanguard vets because the supplied bases were just too small. The metal jump pack would cause them never stand up and they were always falling. So I put them on the bigger bases and never had an issue with it. Someone at the local store I played outside of Fort Knox tried to ***** about it until I quoted page 3 from the rule book. Yet when the Blood Angels came with their fancy plastic jump packs, I put them on my vets and then put them back on their original sized bases.
    Did you try weighing the bases down with washers?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast