BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Chaplain

Default 6th Edition Rules - Captain Invictus

First up the model;

now my friends and I are planning to update rules for a load of characters that have been removed from the game since the 2nd edition of 40K including characters that may have died or become lost in space. Before we started I wanted to produce one of the characters (both their army list entry and fluff entry) to give them a layout to work to. So out of the character I decided to resurrect Captain Invictus of the Ultramarines 1st Company who fell in the defence of Macragge during the invasion of Hive Fleet Behemoth.

The quote below contains the rules including the profile for his signature weapon – The Plasma Blaster (which may get a fancier name).

HQ – CAPTAIN INVICTUS, REGENT OF ULTRAMAR

AVAILIBLE TO: CODEX: SPACE MARINES

POINTS - 230

WSBSSTWIALDSV
    6544353102+

Unit Type:
    • Infantry, Unique

Unit Composition:

Wargear:
    • Terminator Armour
    • Power fist
    • Plasma Blaster
    • Teleport Homer

Special Rules:
    • And They Shall Know No Fear
    • Combat Tactics
    • Independent Character
    • Company of Veterans (may take Stern guard as Troops)

WeaponRangeStr.APType
    Plasma Blaster 24"62Salvo 4/2

Captain of the 1st Company:
    If your army includes Captain Invictus, you may also include one Terminator or Terminator assault squad (see page 136 for details) as a command squad. This does not count against you Elites allowance. In addition the squad may take the following upgrades;
    • One terminator may take a Company Standard at 20pts
    • One terminator may take a Narthecium at 30pts.

The aim of the character was to give the player the ability to create a true Veteran company made up of both Terminators and Stern guard, the price of the model is fairly high to reflect these abilities. While Invictus himself is fairly average save for his gun, his position as the 1st company captain allows him to bring a lot more experienced troops to the battlefield then any other captain within the Ultramarines chapter (Save Calgar himself).

please comment, or even better use these rules in a game!
    Last edited by The Madman; 12-16-2012 at 01:14 PM.
    Step forth and be recognized.
    No mercy. No pity. No hope.

Chaplain

love the model.

I would add some restrictions on the Stern guard most likely on how many Special weapons the get, but then drop his points to somewhere in the 190-210pts line.
    Read this www.scribd.com/doc/123508033/Warhammer-40-000-6th-Edition-Codex-Adeptus-Aribites Then fill this out www.surveymonkey.com/s/LCFWXNV thanks

Chaplain

Edited first post for 6th edition. C&C welcome.
    Step forth and be recognized.
    No mercy. No pity. No hope.

Brother-Sergeant

I'd personally recommend against giving him a unique ranged weapon, erring on the side of caution I'd simply give him 'plasma blaster' that has the first profile. Basically swapping Rapid Fire for Assault is a significant enough change to how Plasma Weapons tend to work (especially with high BS and the ability for Precision Shots). On top of that, I'd add a little something to his Power Fist to make it a little bit more special. One thing I think would be particularly interesting in this regard we be to have it strike in Initiative Order when fighting against a Monstrous Creature (or Flying Monstrous Creature). Could be a really fluffy way to represent fighting Tyranid baddies in hand-to-hand. That way, at 230 points, he becomes a fun and cool addition even without relying on Sternguard squads. Regarding this last issue, simply make Sternguard scoring, rather than troops. They should still be elite, IMO.
    The objective of the game is to win. The purpose of the game is to have fun. The two should never be confused.