BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: GW prices.

Chapter-Master

Well said, Bean, well said.

www.queencityguard.com

Chapter-Master

10 pages? I thought the OP put this one to rest, guys....
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by wittdooley View Post
    Well said, Bean, well said.
    Indeed, some excellent points. Also, and I may be wrong in this, but doesn't each mold have limited life span in that after so much usage, they start to lose details and new one is needed? In that case, SM are going to get through more molds than Kroot and IG as they obviously sell more.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    Indeed, some excellent points. Also, and I may be wrong in this, but doesn't each mold have limited life span in that after so much usage, they start to lose details and new one is needed? In that case, SM are going to get through more molds than Kroot and IG as they obviously sell more.
    Thanks, and yes, I think you're right. I am certainly not an expert on the plastic-model-making process, but I would be very surprised if the molds did not wear out with use.

My two cents? It'd be nice if GW models were more cheap.

Brother-Sergeant

@Merkmon

Haha yeah I wish they were too.

I must confess I'm greatly impressed at all the justifications people give for GW stuff. I almost feel like corporations are charging $200 000 for water and people mauling those the speak out against it. I think I finally understand why GW gets away with it's prices. It's not to do with actual cost to manufacture or shipping or whatever. It's people are willing to spend the money. Enough to warrant further price increases. Please people don't give me that ridiculous trash that it's all ok because it's a luxury. IT'S NOT REASONABLE, IT'S NOT OK. It just is. Just because it works doesn't make it moral or something. Hence the rape comparison before. Rape is more extreme, but I'm dismayed at the childishness of the internet being unable to just run with an analogy. They're both bad things. One it more bad then the other but NEITHER OF THEM ARE GOOD.

I would like to be able to afford to buy lots of GW stuff, I've grown up with it, I'm passionate about it I like almost all aspects of the hobby. And I'm told to suck it up because I can't afford that which I care about. Why would I listen to people like that? It's not an essential definitely. It's a luxury definitely. The world will continue tomorrow if I stop definitely. But I am vocal about being able to continue something I care about. I don't want to lose a source of personal and social happiness if I can avoid it.

I won't get models elsewhere as I think other manufacturers are generally terrible in comparison. I don't really trust third part sites or ebay; to many horror stories. I don't want to go to another system as I could care less about what they do, and nothing has peaked my interest. For modeling and war gaming I only want GW stuff. Nothing else. I do not want green eggs and ham, I do not want them sam I am. You may like them but I do not.So I will continue to be vocal about being able to keep doing the one wargaming thing I do like.

You can't 'run with' the rape analogy unless you are idiot, because it doesn't work.

Rape: An illegal, immoral act of violence prompted by a desire for power over others, usually women.

Charging what you think people will pay: Common sense business practise for any company, not just corporations who are COMPELLED BY LAW, and morally obliged*, to make as much profit as they can.

So you are comparing an illegal act with one compelled by law. So the analogy is not just immature, it does't work. Just because you can't afford toy soldiers doesn't mean it starts working miraculously either.

Companies charging what they think the consumer will pay is justified, and it is right. It keeps companies in business, it keeps employees employed and it fills government coffers with taxes.

*Yes, really. Companies have a moral obligation to their customers, shareholders and employees to be successful.

I'm not trying to single you out to be rude Myu, I just get annoyed by the silly overuse of rape, your opinions re GW prices I may disagree with but obviously you have every right to them.
    Last edited by eldargal; 03-06-2012 at 03:45 AM.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    You can't 'run with' the rape analogy unless you are idiot, because it doesn't work
    This.
    As has been re-iterated countless times, Warhammer in all of its forms (yes even LoTR) is a game a luxury that we don't have to buy and if it is too expensive for you then don't buy it. Yes, we would all love to have cheaper models, but that's not going to happen. We all know (or at least shoud be aware) that the cost to produce the models has very little bearing on the price of the models, and statements saying that the price is shrinking consumer demand is not borne out by any of the financial statements with GW being more profitable now than in its history. GW prides itself as a premium hobby, that's why over stocks aren't sold at discounts. If GW couldn't sell any baneblades at £60+ then the price would change, but it can and we will pay it.

Brother-Sergeant

@Eldargal

"So you are comparing an illegal act with one compelled by law. "

You are completely missing the point. I am and the original poster comparing two highly undesirable things. Put your law books and lawyer-ism away, it's not like my opinion on pricee will change GW one bit anyway.

@Wolfshade

Justify it however you like. I don't like what they're doing so I'll take about it. I'm not going to start liking their prices, no matter how many people agree with me they're a luxury item.
    Last edited by Myu; 03-06-2012 at 03:58 AM.

I'm not missing the point, I'm pointing out why the analogy is ridiculous and simply doesn't work. Rape isn't only highly undesirable, it is a soul destroying act of violence that is illegal. Prestige goods pricing is legal, logical and quite ethical. You can stick your head in the sand all you want but the fact remains the analogy is immature, hyperbolic and absurd, it has nothing to do with your opinion on GWs prices.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast