BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default Path of the Outcast & Renegade

Noticed in this months WD that path of the Renegade is out next month.

Linked through to BL website and found;

[url]http://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-40000/path-of-the-renegade.html[/url]

Including the following review from the King of the Eldar, Mister Phil Kelly

Masterful stuff. The city of Commorragh comes to seething, malignant life in this triumphant celebration of Dark Eldar lore. Scheming archons ally with sensual Succubi and sinister Haemonculi in a jagged web of paranoia and bloodletting so compelling I was caught in its hooks from the start. This book is as rich, complex and black-hearted as the connoisseurs of pain that haunt its pages – faint-hearted readers beware!
    Also noticed a excerpt was linked....[url]http://www.blacklibrary.com/Downloads/Product/PDF/p/path-of-the-renegade.pdf[/url]

Also while browsing I noticed there was a link to Path of the Outcast. Currently dated for September

Gotta say Aradryan looks pretty badass
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

I felt Path of the Renegade was an alright book, but it had a lot of flaws. Mainly pacing issues. Also, an over reliance on tropes. This lead to it being a bit of a disappointment considering it's the only DE novel available.

The first Act was strong. It included some cool mythos. It showed the reader a bit about Commoragh and the Kabal life style. I especially liked the Avian themed Kabal.

The second Act was rushed, but still interesting. Mainly focusing on characters that, up to that point in the novel, hadn't existed outside of a prequel short story that was available only on Blacklibrary.com.

The Third Act was terrible. Utter garbage in my opinion. It took the build up of the previous two thirds of the novel and crapped all over it. I felt the author had built up much to almost no pay off. On top of that, it was rushed to the point where I was wondering if perhaps the Author had forgotten that his novel was only supposed to be a certain number of pages and only happened to be reminded of the fact with about a chapter's worth of pages left to go.

I keep forgetting to buy Path of the Renegade. Aradryan does look rather impressive in that picture.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

That's been my main issue with thorpe. His work is a bit inconsistent in my opinion as every now and then, I find a real winner, but then, with the next one, it looks like he rushed it in a couple of days.

Scout

I quite liked Path of the Seer, so Im going to continue to invest

same. Overall I think the series has been a decent read. I really like seeing eldar life from the various aspects.

Quote Originally Posted by calltoarms View Post
    That's been my main issue with thorpe. His work is a bit inconsistent in my opinion as every now and then, I find a real winner, but then, with the next one, it looks like he rushed it in a couple of days.
    Andy Chambers wrote Path of the Renegade and it's accompanying short stores. I believe there are two or three out now that tie in directly to characters featured in PotR.

I liked Path of the Warrior, but I didn't like Path of the Seer. It meanders a bit much for my taste. His descriptions of the ether in particular a snooze fest for me.

i really enjoyed path of the renegade for the most part as has been said the ending is a bit of a let down but not completely and Andy Chambers does capture the feel of the dark eldar extremely well ... possibly worryingly well in some places

I'm looking forward to the PotR sequel, Path of the Incubi. I liked the first in the series, glad to see it will be followed up.

Does Path of The Renegade tie in with the other path books, by any chance?

Im thinking of the Ex-Kabalite in PotW...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast