BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 10 of 84 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Grenadier View Post
    Very long quote.
    Because one person with abhorrent views says something, anybody else who says anything even remotely similar is tarred with sharing their abhorrent views as well? Very lazy reasoning.

Also it's not often I'm considered "liberal" or "of the left".

Quote Originally Posted by Dunadan View Post
    Note however, that according to your definition a parasite is a living organism, which would refute your earlier claim that the zygote/embryo/fetus isn't alive.
    But there are exceptions to every rule, mammals give birth to live young.... but there's at least two examples that lay eggs...

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Chapter-Master

I can see this going downhill pretty quickly from here...

Quote Originally Posted by Gotthammer View Post
    That's because that's the default setting for the world - men don't need any help in achieving equality as other 'empowerment groups' are aiming to achieve equality with them.
    Yeah, totally. Men are the oppressors, it's impossible to be sexist against them.

That was sarcasm, by the way.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Misandry and reverse sexism is one of the problems facing modern feminism. But it also has to be remembered that men ARE the default setting and any gains for women will come at some mens expense. It is important thus to make sure that the women which do break into male dominated areas (like corporate boards) are there through talent and cultural change not affirmative action type programs.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    But there are exceptions to every rule, mammals give birth to live young.... but there's at least two examples that lay eggs...
    But those exceptions are only known because they have been observed. And currently, observation of the zygote shows it to fulfill the qualifications demanded by biologists of a living organism.
    [url]http://academic.wsc.edu/mathsci/hammer_m/life.htm[/url]

I'd rather break this discussion into a separate thread, but I'm afraid it might attract trolls. OTOH, I don't want to mutate Eldargal's thread. What to do, what to do....

Chaplain

With some of them..yeah, if the shoe fits. They use the same tarring tactic on people on my side of the fence so fair is fair to me. Kind of like how you tarred me with the religious brush the other day.

And none of it changes the facts I presented. Planned Parenthood was founded by an outright racist who sought to reshape the population to her liking (and the liking of many who agreed with her) through the use of contraceptives and abortions. And there are people today who continue support and subscribe to those views. It's my opinion then that it such callous, cold, and clinical views towards unborn children is a disturbing and destructive element in society. Furthermore, if you combine this attitude with the sexual anything goes and no personal responsibility for consequences of sex attitudes it becomes even more disturbing. The views the American far left progressives and others who share them regarding sex and reproduction are views I will never support.

Also, when I say liberal or left I am usually referring to them here in America. While I'm not completely informed on how liberals or leftists are in the UK I do know there are some differences between them and those here. I'm trying to keep an open mind regarding the views people have over there but so far much of what you personally have shared with me here only serves to reinforce my own views.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    Because one person with abhorrent views says something, anybody else who says anything even remotely similar is tarred with sharing their abhorrent views as well? Very lazy reasoning.

Also it's not often I'm considered "liberal" or "of the left".

The Eye of Skreebo is upon ye. Skreebo expects.

Chapter-Master

Incidentally, while it's more about racial and geographic inequality and has little to do with sexism directly, Germs Guns and Steel has been adapted to a documentary on Netflix. Well worth checking out if you want to know why Europeans conquered the globe, and why some parts of the world are still impoverished.

Just for clarity, in America, liberal generally refers to "bleeding hearts". Pro choice, pro welfare, pro big government, pro union, pro affirmative action, etc. Conservative refers to pro life, pro small government, pro business, etc, and typically has strong connections to traditional religious values. Those are sweeping generalizations, of course.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

The problem with GG&S is that it seems to posit a purely mechanistic explanation of human history: [url]http://www.scifiwright.com/2007/10/germs-guns-and-steel-or-doctors-gunsmiths-and-steelworkers/[/url]

Chaplain

Those are fairly accurate generalizations though.

However, each wing has several factions, some more extreme than others. And each wing lends itself to certain issues more than the other. And so will draw to it those who agree with the issue. For example, the conservative size favors immigration reform and enforcing the laws pertaining to it. Liberals generally oppose any such efforts and claim it is racist. Many minorities flock to the liberal side because the perception is that they liberals are looking out for them. And while there are minorities on the conservative side the impression is that conservatives are racist. There's not much middle ground in America. It's now an either or nation:

Either support gay marriage or you're a homophobe.
    Either support amnesty and lax immigration or you're a racist.
    Either support abortion and contraceptives or you're oppressing women.
    Either support the right to bear arms or you're an anti-gun lefty.
    Either support Obama or you're racist.

On and on. Both sides play this game. And in each example there can be some middle ground. You're not this or that simply because you disagree with the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Incidentally, while it's more about racial and geographic inequality and has little to do with sexism directly, Germs Guns and Steel has been adapted to a documentary on Netflix. Well worth checking out if you want to know why Europeans conquered the globe, and why some parts of the world are still impoverished.

Just for clarity, in America, liberal generally refers to "bleeding hearts". Pro choice, pro welfare, pro big government, pro union, pro affirmative action, etc. Conservative refers to pro life, pro small government, pro business, etc, and typically has strong connections to traditional religious values. Those are sweeping generalizations, of course.
    The Eye of Skreebo is upon ye. Skreebo expects.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dunadan View Post
    [url]http://academic.wsc.edu/mathsci/hammer_m/life.htm[/url]

I'm sorry but a thrown together page on an Ecollage website has little more credibility than a wikipedia page as a valid source...

Quote Originally Posted by Grenadier View Post
    With some of them..yeah, if the shoe fits. They use the same tarring tactic on people on my side of the fence so fair is fair to me. Kind of like how you tarred me with the religious brush the other day.

And none of it changes the facts I presented. Planned Parenthood was founded by an outright racist who sought to reshape the population to her liking (and the liking of many who agreed with her) through the use of contraceptives and abortions. And there are people today who continue support and subscribe to those views. It's my opinion then that it such callous, cold, and clinical views towards unborn children is a disturbing and destructive element in society. Furthermore, if you combine this attitude with the sexual anything goes and no personal responsibility for consequences of sex attitudes it becomes even more disturbing. The views the American far left progressives and others who share them regarding sex and reproduction are views I will never support.

Also, when I say liberal or left I am usually referring to them here in America. While I'm not completely informed on how liberals or leftists are in the UK I do know there are some differences between them and those here. I'm trying to keep an open mind regarding the views people have over there but so far much of what you personally have shared with me here only serves to reinforce my own views.

You're right I made conclusions based on the available evidence where you'd spoken in support of religion, and public religious observance on the politics thread, I personally don't think it's a big stretch to then suppose that someone with such views would attend church.

If you show me where I called for selective breeding, and the extermination of a race of people....

Regardless of who set up one particular (I assume "planned parenthood is a brand) brand of clinics, It doesn't mean people who provide similar, or seek the services of such share their views!

TBH I get the impression that the average member of your left (not the fanatics) is more rightwing than our centre-right conservative party...
    Last edited by Psychosplodge; 03-08-2012 at 02:57 AM.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

any of these work better for ya?
    [url]http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/gen01/gen01490.htm[/url]
    [url]http://www.sciencemag.org/content/295/5563/2215.full[/url]
    [url]http://cwx.prenhall.com/bookbind/pubbooks/martini10/chapter28/custom3/deluxe-content.html[/url]
    [url]http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002398.htm[/url]

Page 10 of 84 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast