BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 40 of 84 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

There is a worrying trend towards normalising obesity, it's very difficult. On one hand you can't treat people poorly because they are obese and they shouldn't be bullied over it but going to the other extreme and pretending that there are not negative consequences for being overweight is extremely unhealthy and could literally kill people.

Of course when you say this with a 25" inch waist people just accuse you of being a b!tch. But there is a difference between persecuting and judging people who are overweight (which I do not do) and being rightly concerned at a growing culture that sticks its head in the sand over the health implications.

Quote Originally Posted by Godless Zealot View Post
    Ugh, that's deeply unsettling.
    Yep, it handily illustrates how no matter what you look like it doesn't matter, these people will find a reason to persecute you.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Yep, it handily illustrates how no matter what you look like it doesn't matter, these people will find a reason to persecute you.
    I've been there, been fat and got the extra large t-shirt. Fortunately now after a prolonged battle I've slimmed down sufficiently and am fairly healthy. It's true that people will choose anything to persecute you. As someone who was short, fat and not terribly good looking I was subject to a lot of bullying as I grew up and even as I went through university and into the workplace. It's one of the reasons despite being a man and although there is a differing theme I found the above comic strip instantly relatable. You often feel that you are 'not good enough' to associate with other people and the reactions of some of then can only affirm that feeling by the way they act towards you.

Now take that and apply a veneer of sexual lust and morality and you start to get what most woman have to deal with day to day. Not trying to say what you had to deal with wasn't traumatic enough, just that there are extra layers when you are a girl/woman. A common misconception is that if you do meet the physical ideal that you are respected. You aren't, you are still just meat. If you have a normal enjoyment of sex you are a slut, if you are more reserved you are frigid. I've had people tell me to my face that I'm 'wasting my body' after refusing to have sex with them. Because as we all know a womans body is only there for mens enjoyment.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

whereas, as we all know, a woman's body is really only there for a woman's enjoyment

just thought I would inject some sexism into the discussion
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Yes, at least for me that was one aspect that I didn't have to contend with. There is definitely some warped attitudes towards women out there. Never really understood it personally why those men act the way they do and expect women to just lap it up.

Chapter-Master

what I tend to find most annoying and amusing in equal measure are the guys who come on to lesbians, knowing they are lesbians... by old boss got hit on weekly by the same guy, it was just odd. I once said to him 'she has changed her mind you know, you should ask her again' 'really?!' 'no. idiot.'

You sort of have to admire their optimism.

This [URL="http://uk.gamespot.com/news/documentary-on-sexism-in-games-hits-kickstarter-6407677"]http://uk.gamespot.com/news/documentary-on-sexism-in-games-hits-kickstarter-6407677[/URL] might interest some of you. Already fully funded in a short time.

Chapter-Master

the comments on the piece really tell you everything you need to know about attitudes right there

"Can we please stop faking outrage to get ratings/viewers and turning non issues into profound social problems?"

"What a garbage concept for a documentary. Gamers in general get abused by other games, not female gamers in particular. Nearly anyone who has ever played an online game has been viciously harassed at least once, but lets start a moral crusade about how female gamers are delicate victimized flowers..."

"I hope this bombs. I don't like the idea of uppity women talking smack about skimpy armor and such fanservice. Leave us alone, you women are already coddled by society enough as it is."

charming

Yeah I noticed that too, ironic really as it's exactly those sort of attitudes the documentary is trying to expose.

Page 40 of 84 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast