BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 43 of 84 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    yes, play out the entire conversation in your head first, then you don't even have to bother going and having it, you have already talked yourself into a date, much simpler, and cheaper
    Or that...

First-Captain

I've found that the best "icebreaker" is simply good eye contact and a warm, heartfelt "Hi." Put some good nonverbal oomph into the "hi."

You'll instantly find out if she'll want to continue the conversation.

Honesty. Sincerity. Empathy.

Avoid insincere compliments.

Quote Originally Posted by scadugenga View Post
    I've found that the best "icebreaker" is simply good eye contact and a warm, heartfelt "Hi." Put some good nonverbal oomph into the "hi."

You'll instantly find out if she'll want to continue the conversation.

Honesty. Sincerity. Empathy.

Avoid insincere compliments.
    [Also?] not a woman, but I totally agree with this. Not that any of the previous advice has been bad, but like ... don't compliment a woman's hair if you don't actually like her hair.

That's a really dumb sounding statement, but for me (who was/is also painfully shy around women) it led me to realize that I simply didn't pay enough attention to women to have any honest compliments for them. Fixing that - getting into a headspace where I could honestly say things like, "I really like your shoes" - was a big deal in the evolution of my dealings with womankind.

Veteran-Sergeant

Confidence when talking to women helps, remember your a great catch too, have fun when chatting with women as well, odds are if your having a fun and an enjoyable chinwag, the lady in question will likely come back for more. Where that leads, who knows.
    Clothing helps too, I know many of us nerdy types have questionable fashion sense some of the time, but a nice crisp shirt, a good pair of jeans with smart shoes and you can't go wrong leave the Starwars t-shirts at home. Oh and don't get drunk on a date.
    Without wanting to blow my own trumpet, but I had substantial successes in the lady department before meeting the wife. An Air hostess, a model and a figure skater as examples and I had some good times and some still remain friends with to this day
    Last edited by DeadPanda; 05-06-2013 at 11:38 PM.
    Pack it up, pack it in, Let me begin, I came to win, Battle me that's a sin, I won't tear the sack up, Punk you'd better back up

the comments on the piece really tell you everything you need to know about attitudes right there

"Can we please stop faking outrage to get ratings/viewers and turning non issues into profound social problems?"

"What a garbage concept for a documentary. Gamers in general get abused by other games, not female gamers in particular. Nearly anyone who has ever played an online game has been viciously harassed at least once, but lets start a moral crusade about how female gamers are delicate victimized flowers..."

"I hope this bombs. I don't like the idea of uppity women talking smack about skimpy armor and such fanservice. Leave us alone, you women are already coddled by society enough as it is."

charming
    Male privilege in action 'Because the issue doesn't affect me and I don't see it it isn't real'. I'm backing the KS, anything which raises awareness is good. A lot of people don't realise how much worse it is for women online, far beyond the 'everyone gets abused online' thing, as if that would make it any better anyway. Women are subjected to much more abuse of a much more violent nature and it is nearly all related to our gender, whereas males do not get the same level of vitriol and it is not aimed at their gender. Often it is just standard insults about sexuality and the sexual morality of their mother.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by DeadPanda View Post
    and a figure skater as examples and I had some good times and some still remain friends with to this day
    A finger painter?

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nabterayl View Post
    [Also?] not a woman, but I totally agree with this. Not that any of the previous advice has been bad, but like ... don't compliment a woman's hair if you don't actually like her hair.

That's a really dumb sounding statement, but for me (who was/is also painfully shy around women) it led me to realize that I simply didn't pay enough attention to women to have any honest compliments for them. Fixing that - getting into a headspace where I could honestly say things like, "I really like your shoes" - was a big deal in the evolution of my dealings with womankind.

Self confidence and a friendly attitude does wonders. There's always some voodoo to it, though. I got lunch at a burrito place the other day, and the server girl was real flirty and gave me a discount (muscles usually help, too, btw). Funny thing was, though, I was getting lunch with my mom, my mom actually did a lot of the talking, and on top of that I was wearing glasses, a hat, and sunglasses on top of my hat so I looked kinda silly (I'd left them up there and forgotten about them). So... yeah.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

this page was re-tweeted by a few people I follow, basically a guy relentlessly hitting on girls via twitter, incredibly creepy
    [url]https://twitter.com/PatrickMcgirr[/url]
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

this page was re-tweeted by a few people I follow, basically a guy relentlessly hitting on girls via twitter, incredibly creepy
    [url]https://twitter.com/PatrickMcgirr[/url]
    Well.....everyone needs a hobby. Could be worse. Could have been chat roulette.....
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Wow, that is both creepy and pathetic.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Page 43 of 84 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast