BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

I'm kind of in the midst of my lowest point right now. I taught a friend to play, and now he beats me all the time. All. The. Freaking. Time. I suppose it doesn't help that he plays Imperial Guard. That, and I think he's just naturally talented. My Blood Angels can't put a scratch on him. I can't wait for a new edition, or codex, or an update for my other army (Tau).

My low point was walking into my FLGS and saying "what's this game called Warhammer?"

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Azaghul View Post
    I'd say reading the latest threads that was supposed to be on 'GW prices' was a pretty low point for 40k, and these boards, and the mods.
    Ay, I second that. People take toy soldiers way too serious.

I'd say selling armies is always a low point. It seems like a good idea at the time but often come to regret it. I wish I still had my original armies from the Rogue Trader days, and my beloved Averland Knights Blood Bowl team. I sold out, Very sad.
    Gamer • Painter • Designer • Englishman
    http://levitas-master-artificer.blogspot.com

Chaplain

Try new tactics? I don't know the composition of your army. But I play Guard and Black Templars. And have good experience fighting Space Marines with my Guard army. And I know what my Guard fears and what their weaknesses are.

For example, the Imperial Guard has a whole lot of guns and a numerical advantage over Marine armies. They're good for games of attrition and this is a weakness of the Marines against them. So you need to find ways to even this out.

Also, the Guard has a much longer reach than Marines. The Marines simply can't match the range of many of the Guard's weapons. When my opponent bring his Dark Angels against my Guard he's always under my guns from deployment onwards. But he makes the mistake of deploying much of his army on the table before the game begins.

So try some new tactics. I don't know what all the Blood Angels have access to. But being Marines they have skills the Guard wishes it did. For example, my army is slow and ponderous. It lacks any serious fast movers, hand to hand capability, and of course the Guard doesn't have the most desirable armor save.

Maybe focus more on other means to put troops into the battle without having to deploy them before the game. Reserves and lots of them. Deep strikers as well. My Guardsmen hate one thing above all others: Space Marine deep strikers. Anytime any of them appear I'll pour fire onto them to the exclusion of all else and pray I kill them all quickly. Because if they get into hand to hand with my infantry those lads are done for. And if he drops in shooty Terminators that's even worse. They're harder to kill. And they pack a lot of shootiness. He's dropped them in amongst my lines and popped tanks with assault cannons and cyclone missile launchers. He's mauled infantry squads with all their firepower.

Try outflanking with bike squads. Be sure to give someone a melta so he can burn a tank. Being outflanked by the right units can be tough for the Guard to deal with. My opponent likes to harass my flanks with his bikes and then bring in assault marines who'll then exploit the chaos. Ideally you want to disrupt the Guard with whatever you can do and then tie them up in hand to hand combat. Assault marines also terrorize my tanks. The Marines have lots of ways to get around a battlefield quickly. Use this to your advantage. Don't be afraid to sacrifice your Landspeeder for the sake of killing tanks. With my Guard every tank killed sharply diminishes my firepower.

Also, try scout snipers in cover. To pick off heavy weapons teams. This will be an attrition thing for you. But in my experience my Guard has had trouble aplenty with scouts in cover. And remember to pin the infantry as much as possible! Snipers and Whirlwinds.

I don't know how your opponent plays his Guard army. Or what you have in yours. But I know with my Guard my army is slow, and regardless if I'm on the defense or offense I tend to always dig in. So anything my enemy does to disrupt me effectively weakens me in either role. On offense I charge with my tanks. And follow up with infantry. But if he starts killing my tanks my offense slows to a crawl. On the defense I do better since I can shoot more. But he can disrupt me through pinning, outflanking, and sniping me. So maybe you should try alternate means to get units on table, swiftly disrupt him by those means, and engage him in assault. Against the Guard you'll always take horrendous losses but you can beat them.

Devastators are easily dealt with by the Guard. So avoid using static units I'd suggest. My Guard also find Razorbacks to be troublesome. Sure, they're easy to kill. But they pack the heat Rhino's don't. Many of my tanks have perished to the twin linked lascannons of the Razorbacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPaladin View Post
    I'm kind of in the midst of my lowest point right now. I taught a friend to play, and now he beats me all the time. All. The. Freaking. Time. I suppose it doesn't help that he plays Imperial Guard. That, and I think he's just naturally talented. My Blood Angels can't put a scratch on him. I can't wait for a new edition, or codex, or an update for my other army (Tau).
    The Eye of Skreebo is upon ye. Skreebo expects.

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by Plowboy22 View Post
    My low point was walking into my FLGS and saying "what's this game called Warhammer?"
    Its only really a low point if you like spending beer tokens on things other than plastic figures and getting scornful looks by your non-cool wargaming friends
    Last edited by Wolfshade; 02-29-2012 at 02:31 AM. Reason: must learn to type

Veteran-Sergeant
    Leicester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

My lowest point was meeting my future wife in a GW store hahaha...

Nah seriously

My Low Point: Super gluing my eyelid to my eyeball.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Night System View Post
    My Low Point: Super gluing my eyelid to my eyeball.
    Wha... ou... why.. ho... eh? I think we have found a winner/loser!?!
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

Chapter-Master

I second Mister Shades here....thats just....wow.

How much did that have to hurt?
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Occuli Imperator

I think we need a discription of how this actually transpired

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    I think we need a discription of how this actually transpired
    Seconded. You can't just say that and not tell us how you did it... Even though I wince just thinking about how much that would have to hurt to undo.
    Either there is life in the universe more intelligent than us, or we are the most intelligent form of life in the universe. Either way, it's a worrying thought!

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast