BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Stupid Judge

Chaplain

It made sense for America to become a car culture. Prior to the automobile most people never went very far from home. There was a time in this country your whole world was your town. Anything beyond it was something you'd dream of. A lot of people didn't really get to travel much. Of course there were the pioneers but once they settled somewhere they pretty much stayed there. The railroad made a difference as well. But ultimately, due to the nation's size and culture most people stayed very close to home.

Then along came Henry Ford and the Model T. It changed everything. Now cars were not toys for the rich. Now people could travel further from home. This meant you could go further for a job. And so we ended up with commuting. And it also meant we had our own natural tourism industry. Thanks to the car the sites and attractions America has became accessible to people. So was born the great American road trip. Something we still love here. Though it's getting more and more expensive.

The car really changed our country. To America mass transit is anathema to the spirit of our car culture. Americans always loved independence. The car in many ways is woven into that you see. If you own a car you're independent. Don't like your town? Load up the car and drive to a new one. Don't like this job? There's a better one for you 100 miles away. Bored and nothing to do? Hop in the car for a spin. Go on a weekend road trip. Hell, this is even reflected in our RV culture. What could be better than having a home you can drive?

Mass transit has its perks obviously. And is great for heavily urbanized areas. But overall it really is not an "American" thing. Still, I do like the idea of transcontinental rail travel. It must be nice to climb aboard a train and go from one end of the nation to the other.

The worst is bus travel. Be it the "government cheese" school bus or a charter bus. Long trips in a bus are always a miserable experience!
    The Eye of Skreebo is upon ye. Skreebo expects.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Grenadier View Post
    The car really changed our country. To America mass transit is anathema to the spirit of our car culture. Americans always loved independence.
    Oh, trust me. Even if mass transit were better I'd still own my car, for pretty much the exact reasons you mentioned. I'd just rather have safe, effective, economical and (above all) time convenient mass transit for my daily grind into work. I've ridden the Underground in London, it was nice how you could go pretty much anywhere in the city at a moments notice. I'd love to have something like that here.

Quote Originally Posted by Grenadier View Post
    The worst is bus travel. Be it the "government cheese" school bus or a charter bus. Long trips in a bus are always a miserable experience!
    It's funny you mention it, because buses are one of the reasons why the US is a car culture. Once upon a time, every city had a trolley system, similar to what San Francisco has. General Motors and other companies bought up the trolley services so they could dismantle them and replace them with buses. Buses then became a major reason why the Interstate Highway system was developed. Naturally, all these new roads and highways meant GM (et al) could sell more cars, which has brought us to where we are now.

Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Chaplain

I've ridden one subway myself. Up in Washington D.C. I was surprised at how clean it was. And considering how they drive cars in D.C. I felt the subway was the only safe and sensible option. It was nightmarish to go anywhere up there on foot! You'd be at a crosswalk waiting for the light to tell you its safe to walk...and then almost be ran over for fools in cars ignoring the lights! They should have one that lights up and says "run for your life" on it!

And I road Disney's monorail. I guess it doesn't count though. I've been in every form of transportation except space craft. But hey that may happen one day in the future! Still, I prefer to use a car. It's funny though. I pretty much hate driving. But since I'm in command of the vehicle and I decide where it goes and when it goes and who goes in it I prefer opposed to being a passenger. I think that is why I loathe riding on a bus so much. The only thing I can control then is choosing to get on it or not.

Chaplain

Just had a thought on your OP Grenadier; If the person in question is 17 years old at the time, was he charged as a minor? If so, doesn't all convictions and judgements become void (or locked up) when he hits 18 or 21 and becomes an "Adult"? So a lifetime ban on driving would only be a year or three because he was charged as a juvenile. Maybe the Judge used Lifetime Ban as a way of driving (sorry) the point home that the kid did something really stupid and should think about the cost of impaired driving.

As for intercontinental rail travel, if you don't have to get there fast, it really is a nice way to go. Good scenery, food isn't too bad, screaming kid? move to a different car, the rocking of the rails is just the thing to lull one to sleep and if that doesn't work, full bar.
    Last edited by Mud Duck; 03-19-2012 at 03:44 PM.

Chaplain

I don't really know about that. Each state has its own way of handling crimes by minors. In some a minor can be treated as an adult. It's very complicated stuff. Some things get wiped off the record and other things don't. I'd assume by lifetime ban he means just that: for life.

They let kids on the rails huh? That ruins it for me. They ought to make 'em ride in the cargo compartments.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123