BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Default What build of IG Sentinels is better for flanking?

What is the best weapon for a Scout Sentinel and is the scout squad good for flanking or is the armored Sentinel Squad better?

Brother-Captain

The armour sentinal is great for assults, but for the price of a chimera I'm not sure how I feel about it.

For out flanking I have two builds that I enjoy I usually run then in a sqaudron of 2 : mutli laser/HF or Missle L/Missile Launcher/

If I take the 2nd set up I find it worth while to tact on the Hunter Seeker Missles - especially if theres a nice skimmer or side armour that still need breaking

I've been running 3 AC/HK on my scouts. they usually only last the turn they drop in, but for 150 points I don't have a huge investment in them, and they tend to kill whatever they come across as soon as they flank in and blast away at some rear armor.

When I use my scout sentinels I keep them cheap and leave them with the multi laser. While sometimes the Heavy flamer would have been betterfor clearing backfield base holders off, that 15 points can be put to use elsewhere on my line infantry who have to hold up against my opponent, while the sentinels may or may not show up on time, and even then they may end up on the wrong side of the board.

Since they'll usually be shooting at something in cover, and maybe have to shoot across the board the larger amount of dice usually wins out over stronger but fewer shots. Most vehicles rear armor is still scared by strength 6, and their AP 6 now so theydon't suffer any extra penalties.

Lately though I've been only using armoured sentinels with autocannons in my force, though I try to squeeze in plasma cannons if I can. My other FA slots are usually taken up by valkyries/vendettas, but that one squad of sentinels can hunt light vehicles, infantry, and even act as a tarpit against many close assault squads. Hell I've even had them beat an Orc warboss to death in one game.

Though honestly, whenever I get my hands on a hellhound/banewolf I may drop sentinels entirely. BUt then I love the darn things so much I have 14 of them, so who knows.

Brother-Sergeant

Thanks

Bull

Veteran-Sergeant

Autocannons all the way!

I've done enough test rolls to know that ACs are only about 5% less effective than Lascannons at killing AV11/AV12, which is what I need my Sentinels for. While being *much* better vs. MCs and things like Tyrannid Warriors.

For the same points it would take to upgrade to Lascannons from Autocannons, you can take HK missiles and do 15-20% better than lascannons on your first turn of shooting vs. Rhinos and Chimeras. While being only 5% less effective in your second turn. By turn 3, my Sentinels are usually dead anyhow.

Probably I'm just being inefficient, but for Sentinels designed for outflanking I won't go anywhere other than a Lascannon or Multilaser. Often a HK missile is tacked on regardless of the primary weapon, along with a wing-man equipped the same.

Honestly, if you're shooting a transport up the bum you might as well (normally) shoot the front, the AV isn't that different. Besides which, by Turn 2 or 3 most transports have either done their job or are dead. Shooting battle tanks like Vindicators, Leman Russ and the like is where your opponent has metaphorically dropped the soap. A lascannon here is useful, if overkill. It also allows you to make all sorts of dodgy jokes about "I see your schwartz is bigger than mine" and so on and so forth.

Armoured Sentinels should be used independently in my opinion, since they come equipped with Extra Armour as standard. Autocannons or other multi-purpose weapons (ie not heavy flamers or lascannons) work best for me. Ultimately they often end up as either a tarpit unit or mobile cover for a command squad.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Axel View Post
    Probably I'm just being inefficient, but for Sentinels designed for outflanking I won't go anywhere other than a Lascannon or Multilaser. Often a HK missile is tacked on regardless of the primary weapon, along with a wing-man equipped the same.
    I tested this out recently with dice rolls (20 attack rolls per test, 120 rolls total). Here's my results, where success is measured as the ability to stop the transport:

Shooting at Rhinos (AV11):

3 Autocannons: 75% (5% stunned, 10% immobilized, 60% w/d)
    3 Lascannons: 80% (10% stunned, 30% immobilized, 40% w/d)
    3 ACs + 3 HKs: 100% (10% stunned, 30% immobilized, 60% w/d)

Shooting at Chimeras (AV12):

3 Autocannons: 45% (10% stunned, 15% immobilized, 20% w/d)
    3 Lascannons: 50% (20% stunned, 15% immobilized, 15% w/d)
    3 ACs + 3 HKs: 60% (20% stunned, 15% immobilized, 25% w/d)

For 30 points more, Lascannons give you a slight edge in stopping power, while being much worse in actually destroying the transport (fewer rolls on the damage table). For the same points as lascannons, ACs + HKs do much better during the first 2 turns, which is what counts the most in stopping a Mechanized advance.

The chances, BTW, of killing AV14 with a Lascannon is about 3-4%. So I don't even bother using anything but Melta or Ordnance against them.
    Last edited by SandWyrm; 09-22-2009 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SandWyrm View Post
    I tested this out recently with dice rolls (20 attack rolls per test, 120 rolls total). Here's my results, where success is measured as the ability to stop the transport:

Shooting at Rhinos (AV11):

3 Autocannons: 75% (5% stunned, 10% immobilized, 60% w/d)
    3 Lascannons: 80% (10% stunned, 30% immobilized, 40% w/d)
    3 ACs + 3 HKs: 100% (10% stunned, 30% immobilized, 60% w/d)

Shooting at Chimeras (AV12):

3 Autocannons: 45% (10% stunned, 15% immobilized, 20% w/d)
    3 Lascannons: 50% (20% stunned, 15% immobilized, 15% w/d)
    3 ACs + 3 HKs: 60% (20% stunned, 15% immobilized, 25% w/d)

For 30 points more, Lascannons give you a slight edge in stopping power, while being much worse in actually destroying the transport (fewer rolls on the damage table). For the same points as lascannons, ACs + HKs do much better during the first 2 turns, which is what counts the most in stopping a Mechanized advance.

The chances, BTW, of killing AV14 with a Lascannon is about 3-4%. So I don't even bother using anything but Melta or Ordnance against them.
    If you're curious, the statistically expected chance to kill or immobilize a transport at BS3 is:

Rhinos (AV11):
    • Multilaser: 20.4%
    • Autocannon: 18.5%
    • HK Missile: 13.9%
    • Lascannon: 18.1%

Chimera Fronts (AV12):
    • Multilaser: 5.4%
    • Autocannon: 10.8%
    • HK Missile: 9.7%
    • Lascannon: 13.9%

Chimera Sides (AV10):
    • Multilaser: 33.6%
    • Autocannon: 25.9%
    • HK Missile: 18.1%
    • Lascannon: 22.2%

Take-home: multi-lasers are the weapon of choice for AV11 and below; for AV12 and up go with autocannon or lascannon, if you've got the points for it.

Math Hammer aside, I'd take the HKs+Multi for outflanking. You shoul dbe able to get decent shots at side/rear armor provided you bring an astropath. The extra shot is key because your sentinals will quicly come under fire and you want to make the most of your chance.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast