BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default How many termagant models?

Not sure if this is a tactics question but.....how many termagant models am I going to need when a field a tervigon? I have two of the new models and they are astonishing. I would like to use both in a fun list. I have 40 fleshborer termagants. Will I need more? Thanks in advance.

Brother-Sergeant

Wink

Without mathammering... Lets see... If your Tervigon rolls three ones on the first turn then you'll need only 3 Termagaunt figures per Tervigon.

If you roll the numbers 4, 5, and 6 every turn for 6 turns and then roll all sixes during the seventh turn the theoretical maximum is 108. Of course that is very unlikely to ever happen (but not impossible) because if you roll a double at any time you run out of Termagaunts.

The Tervigon spawns 3D6 Termagaunts per turn. That's 3 to 18, which averages 9 per turn.

I've never seen a Tervigon go for more than three turns without exhausting her supply of larvae.

Without whipping out my dusty statistics textbook I would say that you should have 3 boxes of 12 (36 Termagaunts) per Tervigon just to be safe. If you want to make the Tervigon a Troops selection instead of just an HQ then I would recommend you buy an additional box.

I'm sure that someone with some actual mathhammer skill will post in a minute and give you an exact number.
    Last edited by Paulo187; 03-04-2012 at 08:16 PM.

Veteran-Sergeant

I'd get whatever the maximum number of Termagants two Tervigons could possibly spawn in a seven turn game, just in case (I don't knoiw the exact number, but if you have Codex: Tyranids, you can work it out).

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Paulo187 View Post
    I'm sure that someone with some actual mathhammer skill will post in a minute and give you an exact number.
    Or not...

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Nosmo75 View Post
    I'd get whatever the maximum number of Termagants two Tervigons could possibly spawn in a seven turn game, just in case (I don't knoiw the exact number, but if you have Codex: Tyranids, you can work it out).
    Wow. 252 termagants. 21 boxes. $609! I think I am going to have re-think this. Thanks fellas.

Chaplain

It depends upon how 'hardcore' you are. If you want to run both as Troops, 20 of your 40 will be used as Troops leaving only 20 for spawning. The thing is that some units will probably die so if you are spawning Turn 3 or later, you can use dead units for the newly spawned one.

Personally, I think you need 2 more boxes minimum and 4 max if you want to fill the table with spawned gaunts. Using only two Tervigons it is unlikely that you'd need them all, but if you don't mind getting and painting all those Termagants you'll be ready when you have a really lucky game and have your memorable 40K moment.

Veteran-Sergeant

I'd say 25 per tervigon for spawning, + what you buy for the army

Keep in mind that the Gaunts will be dying nearly as quickly as you can spawn them.

Speaking from experience, you will want in the neighborhood of thirty Gaunts per Tervigon you run, plus whatever is in your list. Your "average" spawn roll is 10.5, and your "average" Tervigon will produce ~21 Termagants over the course of the game, but you will want a little bit extra so that you are able to take advantage of good rolls as they come up.

You can adjust this number up or down a bit depending on how many Tervigons you are running- for example, if you only have one Tervigon, you may be able to get away with just 25 or so, since your Gaunts will indeed be dying off and you can simply not spawn on a turn if you're short models. If you have three or more of them, on the other hand, I would err a bit more towards 35+ per Tervi, since it's more likely that you'll see two of them go nuts with spawning rolls such that you'll want to take advantage of it.
    http://www.3plusplus.net/ : better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Librarian

Isnt the maximum Tervigon Count 5? (2 HQ, 3 Troops?) heh, forget the Green Tide!

Quick math on the maximum: Using the above mentioned number, 108, x5 equals, 540 Guants, at 12 a box, is 45 boxes of gaunts at 29 USD MSRP a pop equals 1,305 dollars... plus tax
    Last edited by Aenir; 03-04-2012 at 11:45 PM.
    The Dark Angels, The Emperor's First, and Finest!
    A moment of Laxity spawns a lifetime of Heresy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast