BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Librarian

The difference between Orks and Nids is that Orks run the Green Tide, while Nids run a Useless Tide. 100 Termaguants of any flavor aren't going to kill even half that many Orks, even if they shoot and charge. That's why they're designed to pump themselves out ASAP every turn.

Just so we're clear, I think that the Tervigons themselves are a good buy, but they succeed by distracting and interfering with the opponent using the Gaunts. Never trust your Gaunts to win you a game by themselves, instead play them to leave your Tervigon and other critical units unmolested until it's too late.
    Last edited by thecactusman17; 03-05-2012 at 12:15 AM.

Librarian

My friends record, running 4 tervigons, is 134 spawned termagants. There was nowhere near that many on the table though, as they tend to die pretty quickly.

Veteran-Sergeant

Now I have to try this idea of mine. I am going to try 30 gaunts per tervigon. I will need 20 more. I have 20 devilgaunts I am going to spilt into two units of 10 to "troop" my tervigons. I will need 20 more regular gaunts. Looks like 3 colours and a minwax dip are in my painting future. I will let ya'll know what happens. Thanks again guys.

Default my experience

I only have 30 guants total and usually run a 15 man squad of guants as a troop and then have my tervigon outflank. I have never run out of models to this day but keep in mind I lose a couple of turns due to outflanking and not being able to spawn on the turn it comes in on. Now that I have picked up the official model for the momma I think I will need a few more models...

If you need models I always thought that it was cheaper to buy the 5 pack vs the larger pack. you save about a buck each model... if you are getting 50 then...

Quote Originally Posted by Grenndal View Post
    I only have 30 guants total and usually run a 15 man squad of guants as a troop and then have my tervigon outflank. I have never run out of models to this day but keep in mind I lose a couple of turns due to outflanking and not being able to spawn on the turn it comes in on. Now that I have picked up the official model for the momma I think I will need a few more models...

If you need models I always thought that it was cheaper to buy the 5 pack vs the larger pack. you save about a buck each model... if you are getting 50 then...
    Indeed. The five pack is a way better deal, especially since there's really not that much dynamic posing that can be done with the normal termagaunt kit. All you're losing is the option to tilt the head slightly.

I've found that my single tervigon produces around 20 guants on a good day. That is about 2 turns of spawning before it runs dry and can't be used. I own 40 termagants, run a unit of 15, and get by with about 25 for my tervi. Like others have said, you will have plenty of leftover gaunts once all those bolter rounds start heading your way.

On a separate note, I can avow for the utility of an outflanking troop tervigon. It can provide valuable synapse and fnp in your opponent's backfield while capturing those objectives.

For my Nids I did 3 squads of 20 each, and have never run out.

I own 120 fleshborer termagants and field 20-60 (in really silly games) in a list. If i run tervigons i usually do not see the point in running more than two and so I have never run out of termagants. In the games where i do run tervigons i tend to spawn about 30 termagants a game, and they usually die within 2-3 turns of being spawned. So you don't really need that many, unless you do not reuse termagants that have been killed off

Battle-Brother

I have about 21 plain gants, and that sometimes turns out to be not quite enough.
    If you're only playing friendly games, you could ask your opponent if you can proxy.

Veteran-Sergeant

When I used to play nids, I had a 120+ gaunts.
    I had 6 groups just for spawning all painted with different base colors.
    1 x 18
    1x 17
    1x 16
    3 x 15

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast