BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Deathwing Anti-Horde problems

So after much internet, codex and table bashing with my Deathwing I have come to the conclusion that while for the most part being the only viable way to play Dark Angels, the Deathwing can often have a fair bit of trouble with horde style armies.

I used to regulate that to my speeders which were had multi-melta/heavy flamer combo, I have finally built a brace of speeders with typhoon launchers on em and lost the mild anti horde from my old speeders.

A couple of people have suggested dakka preds, but to me a pair of HB's and an auto cannon isn't enough.

I'm liking the look of a Pair of whirlwinds more and more, with possible support from a Vindi hiding in the woods.

At 1500pts (my usual game size)

I can grab Belial, 6 squads of Deathwing, 3 Typhoon/Melta Speeders, 2 Whirlwinds and a Vindicator.

(i changed from the mixed deathwing/ravenwing, to as many terms on field as possible awhile ago, I dont mind inaccurate deepstrike these days, I just keep em about 8" away from painful possibilites)

Any thoughts?

Occuli Imperator

What's the load out on the Deathwing?

Banned

The typhoons should help with putting two frag templates out each, as should any cyclones you have on your termies.

I had my 'nids against a White Scars force the other day who took two Whirlwinds just for a laugh. He'd never used them before didn't know what they'd be like. I felt pretty smug with all my Termagants hugging cover until the Incendiary Missiles wiped them out without any cover saves and no armour saves. Lets say it was carnage for the little fellas.

I'd imagine other hordes are also low points, low saves, hug cover where possible so I think your Whirlwinds may prove their worth.

Wait wait wait....you don't run 2 LRC? That solves horde right there.
    Here:

HQ:
    Belial
    Troops:
    5 Assault terminators with TH/SS in a Land Raider Crusader with Multimelta
    5 Assault terminators with TH/SS in a Land Raider Crusader with Multimelta

Elites:
    Dreadnought with multi melta in Drop Pod
    Dreadnought with multi melta in Drop Pod

You have AV 14, lots of Melta, lots of TH, and lots of Cclose combat skills. What's not to like? Need more points get anotherunit of TH/SS assault terminators.
    "Wisdom means having the ability to admit what you do not know."

I don't think whirlwinds are really necessary. In general, a decent volume of Cyclone Missile Launchers should really be sufficient to handle a horde.

Are horde armies common in your area? All I ever see in my local meta is my Orks and a few scattered Tyranid players.
    See my blog @ http://perilsoftheblog.blogspot.com/

Chapter-Master

I have always found that Hv Flamers and Lightning Claws do quite well for dealing with Hordes.

Then, again, I have always enjoyed IN YO FACE playing.

If I were you I might try ot just pick up three vindicators. The pieplate is no bigger on the whirlwind but the vindicator can threaten everything.

Veteran-Sergeant

I'd go for triple Whirlwinds, myself. Cheap, cheerful and the utter bane of horde armies. =)

Also, another thing that would help would be for you to drop the Terminators and take as many Tactical Squads as you can, backed up by anti-infantry Devastators. The extra firepower will put out far more damage than a handful of Terminators will.
    Last edited by Nosmo75; 03-05-2012 at 02:37 PM.

How do you fit all those models in a 1500 pt game?
    Belial and 6 squads of deathwing terminators are 1420, and that is with no upgrades at all on any of the terminators.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast