BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Brother-Captain

I take Dreads to tie down more problematic horde units. They're cheap, offer extra melta in an army that doesn't have much of it available and are a nice jack-of-all-trades unit.

I think the real strength in Deathwing is the ability to get a bunch of Terminators. My Belial sqaud with an Apoc/Standard/and a mix of terminators usually just wades through hordes. For a 6 man unit they have chewed through practically hundreds of guants without losing any guys. They take down 30 man boyz squads pretty easily too (just had a shield take the power klaw attacks).
    You can soften them up with all of the Cyclones in advance. In reality, you should really only be having issues with spammed AV 14 (and who runs that!?). I feel anti-horde is what Deathwing does best. Go get em!

I agree with the Land Raider Crusader. They pack a lot of firepower and are something that most horde armies would really struggle to crack open as long as you keep moving.

I don't have a lot of experience with Tyranids, but I do have several matches against Death Wing as an Ork player. What you want to do is make the Ork player go first, which will spread them out, then deploy in whichever corner makes them have to go through as much difficult terrain. It should very hard for them to get to you before turn 3, depending on the list.

If it's a speed freaks list, then you should be able to shred the trukks and buggies. The mob size should be too small to give you much trouble.

Battlewagons can be more dangerous because the Deffrollas will wreck LRs, so concentrate on them first as well as any Kans, Dreads, and possibly Koptas.

Scattering templates are always unreliable, plus hordes get so much over and the whirlwind is pretty useless against all but the worst infantry. Maybe some HF on your cc termies?

As everyone else said, I agree, Cyclones and crusaders for your horde issues
    Whrilwinds are good but your only really gonna use them against Hordes wen they show-when a marine like force is on the table it doesn't make up it's points and becomes another easy kill point for them

Chapter-Master

Put cyclone missile launchers on literally everything that can take it. It's not only good against infantry, but is great against most everything else, too.

And just because you can deepstrike doesn't mean you should. Start on the board by default, and only use reserves unless you have a specific reason to do so. This is especially true against hordes, as you'll need as many turns, as many shots and as much space as possible just to kill all those models.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Wow, go to work come back and there are two pages. Crikey

@ Wolfshade - The Deathwing are loaded with2 TH & SS, 1 LC, Cyclone and LC, 1 Chain Fist & SB

@ Shadow Puppet - Typo there, happens when typing at stupid o'clock, I was quoting from an 1850 list I made and stupidly wrote 1500.

And I'm not really a fan of taking Land raiders in a Deathwing force, cause where I play too many people take alpha strike melta units and in my army Land raiders end up being the only thing for them to munch on.

As for local armies, there are mostly Razor Spam BA, Draigo Wing, Ork Foot Horde, And Ork Trukk Horde and a couple of Nid Zilla armies.

If cyclones and typhoons aren`t enough i recommend vindicators. They fit deathwing "the biggest and thoughest" style and are able to threat almost every unit on the table, especially a horde

Battle-Brother

Smile

It can be really hard for an Elite army to beat a Horde army. Even if the Horde army cannot kill all of the Elite army, digging things like Objectives out of their reach can be horrid!

This is one of the best online guides to 'anti-horde' and is by Fester on 3++
    [url]http://www.3plusplus.net/2010/12/tactics-destroyed-by-horde-what-do-i-do.html[/url]

I hope that helps

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by TheSustainableCenter View Post
    Scattering templates are always unreliable, plus hordes get so much over and the whirlwind is pretty useless against all but the worst infantry
    In a true horde list it doesn't matter the scatter as it will always land on something, also, horde armies tend to be comprised of the "worst" infantry, where the AP on the whirlwind missiles.

Someone also mentioned Vindicators, while they are brilliant (doubly so in BA armies), they have only a 24" range, against horde lists I would suggest Vinids should keep their distance. Also, the big AP2 S10 pie plate is a bit overkill for such units where the targets are T3 Sv5+

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast