BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Iron Father

Default Warmachine fiction

So I have finally convinced a friend to give Warmachine a go. We both play 40k and I have been itching to give this game a try over the past year or so. Not one of my friends were interested until after much badgering one caved in
    One of the things about 40k we all enjoy is it's depth in story, both in it's rule books and black library releases and nothing gets us painting more than after reading some cool fiction set in the 40k universe. So I was wondering are there any works of fiction / novels worth reading set in the Iron kingdoms to encourage our appetite whilst we go about assembling and painting our starter sets ?
    Oh and were looking at Khador and Cryx if that helps but anything will do.
    Thanks in advance.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Scout

As far as I know there haven't been any novels set in the Warmachine/Hordes setting. There have been d20 system RPG books released in the setting, though! And each of the books and model entries have pretty extensive info about the factions/models involved.

Chapter-Master

I'd be all over some books if they decided to do them. IMO, they should, and it should be a priority.

The problem is, and perhaps I'm wrong here, is that I believe a large portion of the Warmahordes player base wouldn't care because many of them are there for the competetive game play, not the very rich hobby aspect it presents.

Which is a shame, because Privateer has the best hobby articles in the business, and it's clearly something they find valuable.

Here's hoping (though admittedly, they'd really have to improve on some of the writing that is in the faction books; it's not awful, but in some areas it certainly isn't great.)

www.queencityguard.com

Chapter-Master

I've got to say, I don't think that the Privateer Press fanbase would be uninterested in a series of Warmahordes novels. Everyone I've talked to at my FLGS has been eagerly awaiting the rerelease of the Iron Kingdoms RPG, and I think the fluff is what draws all of them about as much as the rules itself. Judging by the quality of the models my opponents bring to the table - and the appreciative complements I get for my own - the Warmahordes fanbase is definitely into the hobby aspect of the game as well.

So, yeah, I'd say it's probably a matter of priority, not interest.

Librarian

There's no novels, but the books of both Mk1 and Mk2 tell a progressive story. I'd especially recommend Legends and Pirates of the Broken Coast from Mk1.

No Quarter Magazine is also full of additional fiction, often serving as preludes or side-stories to what is covered in the books. While the scattered delivery of fiction makes it hard for new players to get into the background, it also means every book or magazine released plays a considerable part in building up the setting.

You can get a lot of NQ back issues for $1 directly from PP, but the Mk1 books can be a hassle to get these days. They did say they were planning to release a collected volume of just the fiction from those books, though - this year, I believe?

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnbjorn View Post
    You can get a lot of NQ back issues for $1 directly from PP, but the Mk1 books can be a hassle to get these days. They did say they were planning to release a collected volume of just the fiction from those books, though - this year, I believe?
    That would be fantastic.

And FWIW, I still said I would buy them, as would a few of my friends with **GASP** painted models; sadly, I think the majority of the players in my area would not because they're more about the rules than the fluff.

www.queencityguard.com

I too would really like for PP to start publishing some fiction. Maybe a tie-in to the video game they are working on to start things off.

Scout

Pretty much what everybody else has already mentioned, No novels buts lots of short stories.

Chaplain

PP reminds me of Games Workshops early days a bit in regards to fiction- no publishing wing but tons of short stories turning up in every army book, rulebook, magazine etc etc

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast