BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Battle-Brother

Default Wolves without Long Fangs

Hey everyone, I was just wondering if it is sensible to make a competitive SW army without using Long Fangs? I find it very difficult to match their efficiency, however I have minimized my use of them in a current army list that I have been toying with and only run one squad of them, and it seems to do alright. I am a little bit skeptical about posting the list though, as it is the one I plan on bringing to WarGamesCon this summer. I just wanted to know your thoughts on a SW army with minimal/no long fangs.

Brother-Captain

It's doable, but you usually need a good reason not to. Fangs provide great firepower for a low cost and really help make up for the lack of heavy weapons in your other slots.

If you have a fully mechanized army, Fangs can be an obvious target for anti-infantry fire, so fielding more tanks would be a better call. Fangs can't fire on the move unless you bring Logan along, so you may want to add tanks so you can shoot on the move.

Really can't make a call without the context of your list.

Battle-Brother

Thank you for your response!

My list is pretty mech heavy, so I like the imput of more tanks, being able to move and shoot. Definately sounds like and advantage over having to walk the fangs on.

Veteran-Sergeant

yeah ive tried this with drop podding everything, it works about as well as youd expect. the great thing about our codex is that there are soooooooo many different things we can do, from fully meched up to footlslogging to the cavalry charge. we dont need to spam units to win games (not a tournament player fyi) and its much funner to make unique fluffy lists. long fangs ARE great but rhino rush can be just as effective

I guess you could replace them with predators if you wanted more tanks.

I rarely use longfangs when I play my wolves. I tried using 3 squads last game, all with ML's, and they didn't perform very well (which is usually what I find). I generally take vindicators and landraiders with my wolves to give them some much needed low AP weapons. The problem I always have with the longfangs is that there aren't any ablative wounds, once you start taking saves you're either losing the pack leader or heavy weapons. Not to mention I suck at passing marine saves

You can always go for cheap predators. No where near as effective, but it's the only real substitute in a SW heavy slot.

My cousin refuses to use long fangs as well and usually brings two dakka preds in most of his lists. 85pts for for 3 heavy weapons is a steal.

If there's no long fangs I'd recommend squads of grey hunters with Las razorbacks to make up the anti tank

My fave idea is a las/plas back with 5 greyhunters with a plasmagun an a wolf guard with a combi plasma (makes 6 plasma shots-lets see what can hold gainst that)

Battle-Brother

I think I lean more towards the rhino rush. I have two razorbacks in the list as well, but i just don't really like the idea of having 5 strong units, I like having a full 10 man squad, it just seems more useful to me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast