BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

SW w/o 3 x LF squads, the sky is falling, the sky is falling.

Running them without Long Fangs is entirely possible - They are a fantastic near auto-include, but with a little list building foresight you can compensate for the loss of not having them. Of course, they are the go-to points-effective solution to long range firepower, with additional benefits that other options don't provide.

I'd probably lean toward a faster Wolf list without their support - Mech everyone up or Drop Pod them, and focus on the 12" firefight, which Wolves are entirely able to win. I do agree with the cheap Predator suggestion - fill out heavy support with 3 Preds, nothing on them except Dozer Blades, and have them make an AV13 wall for the Rhinos behind them.

While I don't mean to generalize, a few games without the Long Fangs might in fact make for my dynamic and faster paced games, since it removes the crutch of knowing you have 48" support.

Didn't read the whole thread, but yes, you can do without the Fangs, but the only time you should do so is if you are running pure mech.

Battle-Brother

Though Long Fangs are indeed useful, you can definitely do well without them.

I know this is just my experience, but I took an all mobile wolf list to a tourney (mix of a land raider, dakka preds, thunderwolves, rhinos, and fenrisians to screen) and did well. Won 2 games and tied my third.

Brother-Sergeant

My buddy has been toying with the no fang idea as well. He runs a pod/rhino/razor/raider combo. Razor hang back, pods drop in the enemy zone, raiders rush accros, and rhino rush or reserve as needed.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Didn't read the whole thread, but yes, you can do without the Fangs, but the only time you should do so is if you are running pure mech.

But when you run LFs, don't you always buy a Razorback for them anyways. 200pts for 5 x ML + TLHB.

Battle-Brother

Wolves have access to Rifledreads and Typhoons, which are proven winners for C:SM.
    As you are already mech-heavy, these add even more AV, which further saturates your opponents ability to deal with the AV.

In such a case, even an AutoLas Pred, or Dakka Pred, has the gap lessened between them and the feared Missile Fangs. Missile Fangs are plain amazing, especially in Foot or Hybrid lists. But the heavier into AV you go, the less 'bad' the 'lesser' options become.

If you want a change from a proven unit, I say go for it

It all depends on which roles the LFs fill in your list. Obviously you should have a good mixture of both anti-armor and anti-infantry units, but without your list it is hard to give you advice. You have to figure out what your list lacks when you take the LFs out.

In general Wolves are definitely playable without Longfangs. I have had some success with a mech list, which basically consisted of GHs in Rhinos, Dreads and Tanks. For a while I even pulled off a foot-slooging horde kind of army, which was not the most competetive thing ever but a very fun thing to play.

Long fangs fill a deffinate niche in our lists for the most part and unless you really have a reason to leave them at home they are probably your best bet. That being said if you want to keep your whole army mobile drop pods are an ok choice a couple razorbacks can provide some lazcannon and a small squad to get objectives with or even a land raider with grey hunters can be very dangerous. When i played without long fangs i used lots of mech with landspeeder typhoons to provide some heavy weapons and a pair of wolf scout units with meltas to hunt tanks sitting back in the corner

Battle-Brother

Basically my list is:
    5 squads of GH's in rhinos
    1 5 man squad of gh's in a TLL R-back
    1 squad of long fangs plus WG with Cyclone missiles and lasplas rback
    runepriest
    2 ACLC preds
    and a unit of scouts with melta bombs

so far I am 9-0 playing in local tournaments, but that doesn't say much. there are WG in all of the GH squads... I have the one unit of fangs just because for tournament play I didn't want to not have them. I mostly didn't want to spam LFs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast