BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Anti-Draigo Wing

As we all know 11 Paladins, Draigo and a Librarian can be a total pain in the back side-weather it's hammer spam, the flying Storm shield or simply the Psycannon rain.
    But don't lose hope!! There are gaps in their lines and it can destroy them!!
    and here is some examples:

Sledgehammer to the hammer: obvious one is sometimes the simplest-have a nastier unit and/or hero to sort them out, mainly Thunder hammers and storm shields, lots of Powerfists/Klaws/Tentacles (if such a thing exists)
    Sure they may dish out loads of nasty hits-but trust your invun (specially it bein a 3+) and make sure you always aim for the paladins-for you should know-a fist to the face counts as two for combat resolution-so killing 3 paladins outright is 6 on the res, and if all works out, the paladins will lose solely out of combat resolution and will flee (Draigo's fearless but his mates aren't muahaha)
    And once that is successful you begin sheep herding him out of the battlefield (for ppl who don't know-Space marines cannot rally within 6 of a enemy unit) And then that's approx 1000 points destroyed by 1 unit and they're dynamic leader

My Guns are bigger then yours: Some ppl don't have combat units that can challenge grey knights or in fact any other marine elite-but they'll have better guns, generally fusion blasters, meltaguns, fusion guns, Blasters, Shok attack gun, Demolisher cannons,the list goes on, like any other model, all it takes is 1 shot to kill a model outright, best use of these guys is to have a full unit armed to the teeth with S8 guns, this helps us ensure that Draigo can't protect all of them. and this works even better when you got someone nearby meddling with their leadership and make them flee when they "Can't take the heat" :P

If they're much smaller after that, the mightiest threat is now minimal, or better yet if you can mess their leadership up and make them flee, the power of sheep herding.

My psyker is better then yours : They love Hammer hand, for it grants them the power of the Incredible Hulk. a unit with a libraian, draigo, techmarine and 10 paladins can make up Strentgh 9 squad (10 for Draigo) but like all other marine armies, they need to pull this off first, and that's Why the Emperor made Psyhic hoods and Runic weapons.
    Having a Psyker there-with either his hood, weapon or Runes, he/she can destroy the squad's main combat strength and render their combat skills inadequate-Who would love to see a Rune priest, sitting 24 away with a long fang squad laughing as their friend in the Dreadnought bashes allot of Paladins left and right and the Priest there rolling 4+ to nullify their hammerhands?

So there you go to ppl lost in frustration or lost in confusion-ideas for ppl to try. Hope this helps and is interesting to listen too-Now go forth and ram those halberds of theirs right up their...........

Why are we not just tank shocking this off the board by now?

Quote Originally Posted by TheSustainableCenter View Post
    Why are we not just tank shocking this off the board by now?
    Not the best of ideas-simply because chances are, a daemon hammer or a psycannon shot can just kill the tank (pending on what tank you use) death or glory could turn the tables afterall

Chapter-Master

You're approaching the problem completely wrong. You don't try and beat the king at his own game. Driago and 10 Paladins willl likely kill 5-6 THSS Terminators before they get to strike, even if the THSS Terminators get the charge. That's about all you can fit in a Land Raider, which means you need multiple Land Raiders and squads. So you're spending 1000pts to kill Driago and friends, and it's far from a guarantee. 10-12 Terminators will charge in, get chopped up, and kill 3-4 Paladins. Investing in, say, Chaplains and the like to increase your hitting power will improve your odds, but he's still likely to drag you down with him. And if he has Rad/Psykotroke grenades, well, good luck.

Shooting them to death is similarly difficult. Even with little cover, Driago and 10 Paladins can absorb an army's worth of firepower for a whole game sometimes. They might not survive in the end, but the GK player still has another 1000pts of stuff you just ignored.

Tank shock is similarly tricky. It's something to try in a pinch, but at leadership 10 you need to get off a lot of tank shocks to have decent odds, and with 4 psycannons you have to throw out a bunch of vehicles or they'll just shoot your tank to death. And anytime you get close to Driagowing, you're doing him a favor.

Just avoid Driago. 10 Paladins can only cover so much of the board. Just deploy/maneuver/reserve your army so that he has to chase after you. Most tournament quality lists have the flexibility to try and outmaneuver Driago. Then, if the game isn't killpoints go ahead and let him chase some sacrificial units or tank shock him off the objective last minute. If it's objectives, spread out the objectives a bunch in deployment. Let him sit on one or two objectives and never go after you so you have a chance to contest.

And as a Grey Knight player, I can say you guys all put way too much importance on GK psychic powers. They're nice bonuses, but if you have a Librarian to stop Hammerhand it's not too big of a deal. The odds are still in my favor for getting the power off and I get multiple attempts, and even without it Driago and friends are still better in close combat with you. This is mostly directed at Eldar players who seem to think Runes of Warding is practically an auto-win against GKs, but forget about all those psycannons and storm bolters.

You should obviously still take Runes, and Librarians are pretty good HQs, just don't get too excited about having a bit of psychic defense.

Edit: If you're Necrons, mindshackle scarabs. I don't know enough about the Necron codex to say how to make a balanced list incorporating them, but I know it can be done and used as an effective counter to Driago.
    Last edited by DarkLink; 03-05-2012 at 05:25 PM.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Initiate

From my experience, you either need to kite him with melta or win in 1 turn of combat by combat res, he isn't fearless. I tend to charge Draigo himself with something cheap and then hit the rear with Abaddon. Abaddon will kill more pallies than the cheap unit u gave him to feed on.

Use things that force difficult terrain checks. Thunderfire, Deathspinner, Sanctuary, All of Necrons apparently.

Ignoring them is great but if you can stall them somehow, the rest of your army can maneuver around them.

Librarian

Dangerous Terrain doesn't mean crap to Paladins. The only difference is that their Feel No Pain (in this case, the invulnerable save) goes to a 5+. If they fail it, then no worries, you still have a spare wound.

Killing Pallies can be hard or it can be easy, but they have a dramatic fatal flaw regardless: they are simply unable to be where they need to be without sacrificing points or unit mass to hop inside a transport. This means that the easiest way to neutralize paladins is to ignore them as much as possible and instead decimate the remaining units on the field, often at a significant points and firepower advantage. This is especially easy for fast units like Dark Eldar, Blood Angels, and Eldar or units with excellent long range shooting like Imperial Guard and Tau.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by thecactusman17 View Post
    they are simply unable to be where they need to be without sacrificing points or unit mass to hop inside a transport. This means that the easiest way to neutralize paladins is to ignore them as much as possible and instead decimate the remaining units on the field, often at a significant points and firepower advantage.
    Exactly.

While you're doing this, you can still take potshots at the Paladins as well. Even random lascannons and plasma shots will occasionally put wounds on Driago and some Paladins, and once you neuter the rest of his army, you'll have already started whittling him down. With luck, you'll have reduced Driago to one wound and you can start working on the Paladins themselves. Just kiting and whittling him down.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

The only way I've seen to handle him is what has been said.
    Play keep away and try to thin them out.

Throwing your big character and a couple extra units at them doesn't always equal a win.
    Sometimes it equals them killing the biggest part of your army.

Take shots at them sure, but only when you've dealt with more immediate threats.
    (an make sure they don't become an immediate threat)

Battle-Brother

Tank shocks will eventually work, you just have to be selective in which models you hit, as only ones that are actually touched can DOG. so avoid the hammers, psycannons arent as big of a deal, as they only get 1 auto hit, and it still has to glance or pen, and then 1/3 (or 2/3 if glance) of the results dont stopp you anyway.

boxing them in with non crucial units or tanks is another approach, as they only have 1 target to threaten a turn.

Shooting them with all of you st 8 weaponry (even missles, as they will eventually fail some 1's) and just whittling them down is also an option.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast