BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

I've run this unit before a few times, and, to my surprise, torrent of fire is not an effective way to taken them down. They just shrug it off with the 2+/4+ FNP. Even if the odd wound gets through, you still have two per model, so it's by no means a big issue. The lone lascannon/melta shot doesn't really do much because you're always putting that wound on Draigo, who usually makes the save with his storm shield.

Units with a ton of melta shots have been the Paladin's biggest threat, so far. A unit of Fire Dragons (or melta CCSs or combi-melta spam Sternguard squads or similar) is great because each failed save is an instant kill, and there are so many shots you can't just allocate one at a time to Draigo, like the way you can with single lascannon shots.

Chapter-Master

Actually Vendettas are pretty much Paladin's greatest fear. Unless the GK player is stupid enough to clump together when the opponent has a Vindicator. Fire Dragons will only ever get one turn of shooting, ever. A couple Vendettas can kill half the squad turn one from well out of psycannon range.

But, yes, torrent of fire is a horrible, horrible, horrible way to try and deal with paladins. Even mass str8 shots is only mildly acceptable in that it ignores FNP and causes ID.

I don't even run Paladins with an Apothecary (waste of points) and I have never lost a Paladin to small arms fire. Taken wounds, sure. But it is always lascannons, meltaguns, power fists and the occasional plasma weapon that kills Paladins, without fail.

I would say dark lances, but I've so utterly curb-stomped DE (especially dark lance spam DE or skimmer based DE) every time I've played them that I don't care if I lose a couple of Paladins by turn 2, it won't matter in the long run.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Brother-Sergeant

Agree the Apothecary is not worth it. It wont help you vs the only thing you're actually worried about. As far as Draigo goes its pretty simple. Kill everything else and let him have his fun. Feed him empty transports and I sacrificial speedbump squads til the game ends. Any energy spent attacking his fun unit is usually energy wasted.

I actually like for my opponent to pile wounds on draigo, he can save a lot but if he fails enough it will discourage your opponent from breaking him off late game to attack multiple units. If you have things that can target important models that’s the best way of dealing with paladin spam.

I was playing a Tournament last weekend and my opponent had two squads of paladins, a librarian, and draigo. I was lucky by being weird and actually fielding Grey Knight stormravens. It ended badly for him.

Tank shocking can sometimes also lead to hilarious results.

Using GKs to counter draigo wing feels a little like giving up.

Null zone dat HQ. Aegis be damned.

Guard lascannon teams and a stubborn guard blob will wear them down for half the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by karlthepagan View Post
    Using GKs to counter draigo wing feels a little like giving up.

Null zone dat HQ. Aegis be damned.

Guard lascannon teams and a stubborn guard blob will wear them down for half the cost.

Opponents where randomized so it wasn’t planned for me. And I really hate playing against draigo wing... its sooooo boring.

I spent 4 turns shooting him and then charging what was left. The game took like 45 mins mostly because he was taking his time trying to wound allocate so he didn’t lose models. I had to call him out because he was rolling one at a time and trying to double up who was taking wounds.

Null zone is a great one. I’m just not sold on relaying on using psychic powers on an army that usually always has a librarian.

Im not the first to say this, but pop the transport and then get the heck away. I play nids, so psycannons dont hurt too bad as they're ap 4 and and my big thing get saves. last time I played Paladins he had a big unit with character in a Stormraven and two small squads on objectives, so I sent a large brood of H gaunts that would have massacred the Strike Squad. he was then forced to disembark and kill them or lose the objective. next turn i put 6 Hive Guard into the Stormraven and immobilised it. I spent the rest of the game running my entire army to the other side of the board and ended up with 3 of 5 objectives.

Quote Originally Posted by jifel View Post
    Im not the first to say this, but pop the transport and then get the heck away. I play nids, so psycannons dont hurt too bad as they're ap 4 and and my big thing get saves. last time I played Paladins he had a big unit with character in a Stormraven and two small squads on objectives, so I sent a large brood of H gaunts that would have massacred the Strike Squad. he was then forced to disembark and kill them or lose the objective. next turn i put 6 Hive Guard into the Stormraven and immobilised it. I spent the rest of the game running my entire army to the other side of the board and ended up with 3 of 5 objectives.
    A ten man paladin unit has four psycannons. Four psycannons inflict, on average, 3.55 wounds to a t6, 3+ save model. The probability of them inflicting four wounds on such a model is 49%--they'll kill a Hive Tyrant with just psycannon shots almost half the time. That's better than shooting six lascannons at a hive tyrant (presuming BS:4 all the way around and no master-crafting)

If a unit had six lascannons, you wouldn't say, "that won't hurt too bad," you'd say, "holy crap, I have to deal with that before it murders my monstrous creatures!"

That's what a unit of ten paladins is like at range. If you think you can just move away and suck up the shots, you're basically just wrong. They do enormous amounts of damage at range to all types of targets.

Chapter-Master

For nidz, ymgarl genestealers popping up out of nowhere and assaulting whatever they want is pretty awesome. Good way of killing his backfield stuff, especially if you outflank some genestealers as well. And if it keeps him paranoid enough to hold back his Paladins, that's a double bonus.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    A ten man paladin unit has four psycannons. Four psycannons inflict, on average, 3.55 wounds to a t6, 3+ save model. The probability of them inflicting four wounds on such a model is 49%--they'll kill a Hive Tyrant with just psycannon shots almost half the time. That's better than shooting six lascannons at a hive tyrant (presuming BS:4 all the way around and no master-crafting)

If a unit had six lascannons, you wouldn't say, "that won't hurt too bad," you'd say, "holy crap, I have to deal with that before it murders my monstrous creatures!"

That's what a unit of ten paladins is like at range. If you think you can just move away and suck up the shots, you're basically just wrong. They do enormous amounts of damage at range to all types of targets.
    Venomthropes and FNP, my dear sir. I wont say that Psycannons are bad, they certainly aren't! But that is only one unit with that firepower, and they can only hurt one unit a turn with shooting. Plus, 30" threat range means I cant get everything out of the way, but i can can get enough beasties away that I can Catalyst the big ones in range.
    Last edited by jifel; 03-16-2012 at 07:25 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast