BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Question Co-op Boardgames?

Anyone know of any good cooperative boardgames?

I'm aware of these:
    Defender's of the realm
    the D&D boardgames
    Death Angel (not really a boardgame)

Ones I haven't played but am aware of:
    Gears of War
    Pandemic
    "The Axe Mortalis is clearly a guitar, blessed and sanctified to perform the Emperor's Holy Rock. It is only a mundane axe to the boring and uninitiated." (bfmusashi)

Occuli Imperator

Arkham Horror! It's the best with all the expansions wooo, you jsut need a 6x4 table to play it

There is also the Fury of Dracula (formally a GW game) this isn't strictly a co-op, it is 1 (dracula) v many (Van Helsing et al)
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Brother-Sergeant

I forgot about Arkham Horror. I've heard that it's so insanely difficult, it's not much fun to play. I'll try it out though.

I've heard about the Fury of Dracula, but am only interested in true co-op. Thx again!
    "The Axe Mortalis is clearly a guitar, blessed and sanctified to perform the Emperor's Holy Rock. It is only a mundane axe to the boring and uninitiated." (bfmusashi)

Occuli Imperator

It is a little tricky to begin with, but the mechanics are quite simple, especially if you can cope with 40k.
    There are some good guides on Boardgame geek that help.
    But once you get into it its very rewarding. My group who play it we play with all the expansions and tweak some of the rules to make it a little harder. We maybe are crazy.

There was also a Lord of the Rings game which we played, that was very simple, but somehow insanely difficult. We loose this game often.

Saboteur is a great little one, decpetively simple to play.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

+1 to LotR Card Game. Very fun, and very difficult.

Gears of War is, IMO, better than the D&D iterations (they're very similar) but I like both. I think it comes down to genre preference, and I have more affinity towards the Gears universe than the D&D Universe.

Mansions of Madness is mostly co-op. There is a "GM" player, so it's sort of a competetive co-op. Same goes for Descent 2nd Ed. Same also goes for Super Dungeon Explore.

Zombiecide is a VERY fun co-op boardgame that just got released. It also contains a metric s-ton of minis.

www.queencityguard.com

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by da_WaaaghMaster View Post
    I forgot about Arkham Horror. I've heard that it's so insanely difficult, it's not much fun to play. I'll try it out though.
    I played it, and it was awesome.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

If you'd like Arkham Light, you can go with Elder Sign. It's a really fun co-op game that you can also play solo. If you want to try before you buy, I think the iPad app is only 3-5 buckaroonies.

www.queencityguard.com

I recommend Paranoia.... Not really co-op as much as "hilarity ensues".

Descent is great. Awesome game for the DM and the players!

I'd really really REALLY recommend AGAINST Arkham Horror. The game after a few turns just plays itself, and then you lose. Dice don't mean a whole lot, teamwork doesn't do a whole lot, equipment doesn't do much... I've never played a game or heard of a group winning.

SD:SU reviewed Horror Stories (or something like that) about a group of monks kicking ghosts out of their village, and though difficult, they said it was a blast.

Personally, I don't like co-op games much, because the fun of boardgames is players bouncing off each other, but those are what I'd suggest off the top of my head.

Oldie but goodie: Allies and Axis!
    Last edited by L192837465; 09-24-2012 at 02:48 PM. Reason: I forgot about AaA!
    Borderline alcoholic and happy about it.
    Don't get your religion mixed with my Constitution. The mixture curdles.

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by L192837465 View Post
    I'd really really REALLY recommend AGAINST Arkham Horror. The game after a few turns just plays itself, and then you lose. Dice don't mean a whole lot, teamwork doesn't do a whole lot, equipment doesn't do much... I've never played a game or heard of a group winning.
    I think you are doing it wrong, equipment makes a huge impact, you just have to tailor your build and stats to how you play. If you have a very strong two handed physical weapon then you don't need spells and you can trade your other physical weaposn with other players. Similiarly, if you are a strong magic user then you don't need physical weapons. When we play we usually have one or two people who collect all the clues (or are given them) and elder signs and are on portal closing duty with the rest killing monsters/getting better equipment and making sure the horror track doesn't rise too high.
    We've actually changfed some of the rules regarding spawning and the horror track to make the game more of a challenge.

Shadows over Camelot is good but you need 3+ people.
    The D&D boardgames are good.
    Red November is hillarious too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast