BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default IoB Skaven: What next?

I just recently acquired the Skaven half of Island of Blood, and I'm wondering what else you gents think I should acquire to bring my force up to a respectable level. Aside from the IoB models I own Warlord Queek Headtaker, and a friend of mine offered to sell me another group of clan rats and a doomwheel for cheap, which I'm almost definitely going to take him up on, because the Doomwheel is awesome.

Other than that, is there anything specific I ought to pick up?

More slaves/clanrats as you can't really go wrong there. In my 2000 point army I have roughly 200ish. From there I'd probably pick up some Gutter Runners. You need some hammer units to do damage so pick up either a doomwheel or Hellpit Abomination as well. I'd also recommend either a block of plague monks or a block of stormvermin as well. For characters definitely pick up a battle standard bearer (or make your own). Throw in some caster support with a grey seer and maybe another warlock or plague priest and you should be good.
    Armies - Skaven, Tomb Kings, Eldar, Iron Snakes, Dark Eldar, Retribution, & Legion
    Blog - http://chronowraith.blogspot.com

Hm... sounds good.

A friend of mine suggested that I stick with Queek for my warlord and convert/countas the IoB Warlord as a Battle Standard Bearer (He's got a pretty big honking standard, after all) Is this doable/legal?

interesting thing this...

while in my FLGS today i was looking at the island of blood and the skaven battalion as a start to my long desired Skaven Army, the only skaven model I have right now is an unpainted Warlock Engineer, the one with the rat loading the pistol, a model I have always loved yet never got around to painting

with my budget I think

Island of Blood this month and

Skaven Battalion next

assemble and paint

then fill in all the rest as I can
    Tales from Original WFRP. My Troll-Slayer would be a terror with his axe, then my friend's Tax-Collector would hit the foul beasty with his cane and usually get the killing blow.

Battle-Brother

In response to your question about using the Warlord from the IoB as a Battle Standard, of course you can. The model can easily represent a Chieftain with Battle Standard.

Awesome.

How would you skaven veterans reccomend dealing with high armor things like Ogres? I broke my entire army trying to kill a unit of ironguts + the tyrant in one game I played. Granted, I havent played much, but just general thoughts?

For multi-wound critters like monsters, Monstrous Infantry, and Monstrous Cavalry- go for a doomwheel. It shoots lightning even in combat that does d6 wounds. Just don't charge in unsupported.

Also, use Warpfire Throwers or Poison Wind Mortar.

You could also use Warp Lightning Cannons, Plagueclaw Catapults, or large blocks of Stormvermin.

Lastly, for fun games, you could get some units of Poison Wind Globadiers. Not the best unit by far but they certainly deal with armor quite easily.
    Armies - Skaven, Tomb Kings, Eldar, Iron Snakes, Dark Eldar, Retribution, & Legion

I recently aquired the IoB as well and am looking into the batallion box. There is nothing I will not need out of the batallion. Always need more clanrats...

Quote Originally Posted by HaleysRedComet View Post
    I recently aquired the IoB as well and am looking into the batallion box. There is nothing I will not need out of the batallion. Always need more clanrats...
    That really is the maxim of Skaven. I simply cannot stress this enough. In every game a Skaven player will have roughly 1 model for every 10 points. Now, don't take that too strictly... it's a guide.. not a rule.

Really though... buy/acquire whatever you think you want to play with. Skaven really don't have any units which are outright bad, only a few that are subpar given 8th edition and how those units interact with the rules

Nightrunners, jezzails, and poison wind globadiers are all considered subpar... but they still have uses and can still work for players who run the right lists.

Chaplain

Lots and lots of slaves. Probably around 80. You could probably get the old clanrats cheap on E-bay. Warp Lightning Cannons aren't too shabby for taking out big units. Hell Pit Abominations can do the trick if you're looking for a more Clan Moulder theme.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast