BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

At least get one hellpit, its cheap point wise and used right can really put a dent into an enemy army. Also since its so huge and visually intimidating, your opponent will sink a majority of its force into it to try and take it down leaving the rest of your guys free to march on through. Slaves are a good choice to, especially if they are in a big unit and you ram them in and force them to scatter, does some nice damage from them fleeing. If used and equipped right a unit of plague monks is pretty decent.

If you do go the way of the Hell Pit Abom, I would reccommend you take a fair amount of Gutter Runners to try and poison-sling any cannons or other nasty warmachines to death.

Doomwheels, at least two of them.

Those things terrify me as a Lizardmen player as they can kill my big blocks of infantry and my Stegadons with equal efficiency.

Also a Screaming Bell. That thing is just fun!

DM

There is just so much fun stuff for a Skaven player now. I agree, you can't go wrong with lots of clan rats and slaves. It really depends on what "flavor" you want to give your army. You can go in so many directions. Lots of big machines, units of big nasties, overload with units of slaves and clan rats, plague monk theme. SO many options...

I am loving the cheap Skaven available on Ebay. Twenty Clanrats for $10-$11, the IoB stuff is a great value. I just need to add a screaming Bell and a Doom Wheel, plus some of the other cool, big, stuff. I think I'm going to try to scratch build a warp lightning cannon to save some money.

s

Slaves, slaves and more slaves is a good answer to whatever ails a Skaven player. I wish the IOB skaven didn't have shields. but they are cheap and easy to get on Ebay

+1 vote for doomwheels.

It really depends though. Sound tactical advice is to stock up on slaves. And you totally should if you like winning. Personally I don't like taking huge slaves units. Rule of cool is obviously the winner. And I love the plague monk models, and with a furnace they are a solid unit. Some don't, YMMV.
    A couple of battalions will net you a ton of clanrats to have a solid core, aforementioned monks. and some Rat Ogres. Now yes they are not that great, but they are bu no means unplayable But you at least have a fluffy infantry core. Giants rats see tactical use as well.

My 2 cents.

A box of runners seems quite a good investment; night/gutter runners are quite useful.
    You can also toy with to convert one as an assassin.

I'm going to suggest you NOT buy the battalion. I know, craziness. The rat ogres and giant rats are terrible models and dont see much play so I dont think its a sound purchase.
    Many players choose not to outfit their skavenslaves with shields, so you'll need a couple boxes of clanrats if you go that route. If not, the IOB Clanrats from ebay are a spectacular deal and you should pick up another 80 or so with hand weapon and shield.
    Now you need killing potential. Cannons are where its at for me, I field two.
    Two boxes of Plague monks are good at chewing up enemy hordes, but they need a Plague Furnace to shine, I think.
    As a bonus, you get a nice Grey Seer model that matches the IOB style sculpting so there's your general sorted out.
    The IOB Packmaster makes a good second Engineer, call his prod a condenser.
    I dont use Queek even though I have the model, just not liking the Stormvermin as much as the Monks.
    The Doomwheel however will win you games at lower point values, or if you can keep it away from cannons and tarpit units in larger games.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12