BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Black Reach Orks: What Next?

I've been holding on to the ork half of Black Reach for a while now, and I'm trying to figure out what I should get next to bring my force up to a playable level, say 1000 points. Aside from the black reach kit I have an extra boy, an extra warlord, a grot, a trukk, and a warbike sitting around, although I do not have enough stuff to use the grot or bike.

I figure I probably ought to get an extra battleforce, and a friend of mine has been talking about selling his, so there's that.

Other than that, is there anything specific I ought to pick up?

Hi,

I got the orks from the black reach set and now I have a small ork army. My recommendation would be to:

1: Get the battleforce like you said. Keep the bikers, have your nobz and warboss in the trukk, and make 20 shoota boys.

2: Pick up 1-2 Units of Lottas/Burnas You decide what you want but I'd say lootas for their anti-tank ability and their weight of fire.

3: More boyz. Buy another 20 for either 2 units of 30 or 3 of 20. Yuo need boyz

4: Finally, if you still want more I would say grab something fun. Probably killa kanz and/or commandos are "fun" even though the aren't the most competitive.

That should bring you well over 1000 points. Have fun!

Battle force is the way to go. cant go wrong with more boys.

Maybe invest in some storm boys.

Yeah, Lootas would probably a good idea, there's a ton of human high-armor terminators and tanks in our local meta, so some anti-tank would probably be useful.

Librarian

Get Zagstukk and some stormboyz for a good time as you assault off the deepstrike with an I4 powerklaw.
    Start lookin into special characters like Ghazkull, Wazdakka, Zogwort, etc... They can/will add flavor to your force. Who doesn't want to turn Marneus Calgar or Vulkan He'stan into a squig? Or draigo?

Probably lootas, good for anti-infantry and maybe some tanks
    More boyz - cheap and useful
    Trukks - transport those running boyz quicker into Close combat

Brother-Captain

Honestly, the Battleforce and transport bundle are just not very good deals. You only get 22 boyz, a Trukk and a handful of Warbikes: not enough to make an appreciable amount of anything.

The first thing you'll want is an appreciable amount of Boyz, ideally Shootas. 60 is a good starting point. Outside of throwaway Trukk mobs, Shootas are the way to go. They can threaten enemies outside of charge range with massed fire and are nearly as effective as Sluggas in combat (the PK is doing all the work anyway).

Grotz are a great investment, even just 1 box. 40 points for a cheap scoring unit is a steal.

Beyond that, figure out what sort of build you want to work towards and pick up units that support it. If you want a shooty foot army, grab Lootas, Kanz, Big Gunz and Buggies. If you want a mechanized assault army, you're going to need Battlewagons and a handful of Trukks. If you're going for a particular theme, pick whatever fits it. I wouldn't recommend just buying random units left and right, as you'll often end up with a lot of stuff sitting unused as you refine your army to better fit your playstyle.

I would also highly recommend trying your hand at conversions. One of the best aspects of Orks is that any conversion works. You'll save a lot in the long run (buying 3 boxes of Lootas or buying 1 box of Boyz and converting) and you'll be able to flex your Mek muscles and make some really great stuff. Nothing beats converting and kitbashing Orks.

Battle-Brother

I started Orks about 6 months ago and from a trade I received 2x the black reach orks. Since then, I have added to them almost twice a month with something.

What I have looked for since I began Orks is a way I can utilize an entire sprue for more special bodies. Each box gives a lot of guns yet not enough men. The Loota/Burna sprue for example could create 5 guys and the start to 4 others. Each sprue with rokkits adds to my bustas squad. A battlewagon upgrade sprue could provide big guns and a gretchin, as well as the bodies for the wagon bed create more boyz. Warbikers also provide a gretchin, as well as several from the Stompa kit. Over time, I have had more then enough to branch into other codex choices and that variety has helped tremendously.

Now, I would like to recommend you start where I had tried last: Grots. Pick up the 10+herder box, and give yourself a cheap troop choice. And when you want them to be dangerous, give them big guns. I have to admit, losing battlewagons for big guns was a tough adjustment, but my opponents hardly notice how deadly the guys in the back are till it hurts.

I been trying to find jetpacks I like to attach to my remaining NOS blackreach for quick stormboyz, but thats a whole other topic. Good luck!

I have amassed quite a large force of orks that I started last July from just the AOBR set.

The first thing to buy is the Ork codex so that you know what you could be bringing.

I think the battleforce is a waste, but that's probably because I don't like Trukks and I don't feel like a biker option is a good next step from the battleforce.

You can't go wrong with more boyz (shoota recommended) and Lootas. I recommend not building the Mek that comes in the box. I bought two boxes and built 8 lootas and 2 meks and I've still never used the meks.

Battle-Brother

I was also thinking about getting the battleforce. I've also got plans to buy a friend's second hand trukks, so that should provide a whole lotta mobility.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast