BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Why arent Paladins Fearless?

Not that the GK dex isnt OP enought, but come on, shouldnt Paladins be fearless?

Having paladins run away from a psychic ability seems funny, but meh... I'd rather have ATSKNF than fearless for most melees.

Brother-Captain

Well, besides their insane cost, not being Fearless is big drawback for Paladins. You could say it *gasp* balances them out. Try tank shocking Paladins once in a while, they don't look so OP running away from a Trukk.

You can make them Fearless by joining Krazypantsov, at a big cost, but we know how much fun that is.

Simply someone actually decided to balance them out instead of following fluff.

ATSKNF is generally much better. It's more tactical whereas I tend to think of Fearless as closer to mindless (e.g. Orks in Mobs, Death Company with Rage).

It isn't necessarily mindless. Just not smart enough to turn and get to a safer firing position.

Because the fluff for space marines is that they know when to retreat, they don't just throw themselves into combat until they die. Grey Knights are still space marines.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by karlthepagan View Post
    Having paladins run away from a psychic ability seems funny, but meh... I'd rather have ATSKNF than fearless for most melees.
    ATSKNF sucks for Grey Knights. Grey Knights do not play like Space Marines. If your Grey Knight squads run off the board, you don't shrug and keep playing like with the other Marine codices. You lose.

In fact, I just played at the Bay Area Open. First game, half my army ran off the board on like, turn two, which made it basically an auto-lose for me. And it was for ridiculous stuff, too. I assaulted an outflanking psyrifle dread (my opponent was Grey Knights, too) and whiffed. My opponent was immobilized, hit with his one attack, wounded, I failed the armor save, failed the morale test, unit ran off the board. I then melta'd the dread, which took like three turns with three meltaguns within 6", and the explosion killed an acolyte and they ran off the board. Separately, my Interceptors also assaulted another psyrifle dread, one got kicked in the face, and they ran and died.

I actually kinda dislike the entire Morale system in general.

Aside from that, and a few stupid mistakes in my last game that turned a win into a draw, I did very well. It was an awesome tournament, the Frontline guys did an awesome job running it, plus it was pretty cool to meet Goatboy and Caldera and play Bushido Red Panda.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Librarian

Because the fluff for space marines is that they know when to retreat, they don't just throw themselves into combat until they die. Grey Knights are still space marines.
    Tell that to the 101 Terminators that jumped into the First Battle of Armageddon. I think only 5 walked away from that?

My worst morale story was at the last tournament I played in.

My Nobz are forced to take a morale test from the Howling Cyclone effect of Njal's Lord of Tempests. They fail, then fail the boss pole re-roll and fall back over 10. I test to regroup, fail, fail the boss pole, fall back. Then they fail a 5th and 6th test to bring one of them to the edge and fall off the board. I lost the entire unit without them ever getting shot at or taking a wound (thanks to the painboy and FNP).

I tried different sets of dice for luck after the first set of fails. There is only about a 1/200 chance of failing 6 Ld7 tests in a row. For comparison, this is about the same odds of passing 61 Ld10 tests in a row.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast