BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Have you challenged a partner to a game of 40K?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

23 56.10%
  • No

18 43.90%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Scout

Default The tragic tale of how i get repeatedly beaten at 40K by my girlfriend.

This depressing tale goes pretty much as the title suggests. I've not been playing for too long, but have been going to down to my local games workshop with some regularity and playing some beginner games. These have generally been going well and i have not lost yet, despite challenging far more experienced players. So this is all good, where it starts to turn bad is when i decided to challenge my girlfriend to a game one night. She is really supportive about the hobby and everything but i really dont think 40K is her thing per se. Before meeting me i really dont think she had a clue what 40K was, and had certainly never played(unless she is lying and was some kind of prodigy, and is having a massive laugh at how clueless i am). I thought i may as well try and see what it would be like between us. So, i have a fairly large Space Marine force so to keep it simple we did Tac Squad vs Tac Squad to get into the dynamics of basic play and BOOM. I was wiped out by turn 5. I kid you not, there have never been more sixes rolled in history. She is a machine. These games became a nightly thing and so did her incredible form. The best result i have managed so far is one draw! I very rapidly decided to change the format. I thought, ok, in an objective game hopefully i can neutralize all this flukey rolling with tactical adeptness. No again. I am still to this day loosing. Even when i tried cheating (well, giving myself a greater points advantage courtesy of an extra Nobz squad) she still beat me. I think i may have discovered the Emperors daughter. She plays incredibly! It isn't just great rolling, she has a plethora of skills. This is honestly not a joke. So this week we are going to go and play at Games Workshop and put this extraordinary form to a greater test.

I know most people are going to say that this must just be down to the fact that i suck, and although that may be partly true, it doesn't account for what is happening. She is indeed a very gifted player. I thought i'd share this because it isn't really a depressing tale. I think it speaks well of Warhammer that someone can come to the game with little experience and be pretty competitive. Also that it isn't just about who has been into the game for the longest is a guaranteed winner, but I know this is a case a lot of the time. Plus we had a great laugh playing, especially on her part at how perplexed i am. So let this serve as a warning to those 40k'ers with girlfriends, challenge them at your peril!

Anyway, hope this amused you all sufficiently.

Wht a heartwarming story. Don't feel bad, if I had a boyfriend I'd be emasculating him on the battlefield as well.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Iron Father

Count yourself a lucky fella matey. The mere mention of 40k and the wife goes into a self induced coma. I have had to resort into investing in the future and breeding my own home gaming partners. Still a little young yet but the 4 year old has started painting models I bought for her from eBay.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

First-Captain

Count yourself lucky, amigo.

Best I've ever done w/a girlfriend & 40k is polite disinterest. There were a few where gaming was the "unspoken dark secret." The things you put up with sometimes...

Though now I'm married, and fortunate that my wife is supportive, if disinterested in the entire hobby.

Immo,

I have the opposite problem. I end up trashing my wife, without trying. I take a weak list vs what I know she'll have, destruction. And if I let her win, by the gods I'd end up worse than emasculated, heh.

My wife used to play a S.O.B. army in 3rd/4th ed. She played a total of 4-5 games against me. I think she won once or twice too. But she couldn't stand losing any models. It's this same reason she doesn't like chess or checkers very much. If a game involves losing pieces/models, she usually doesn't like it. To her, acceptable losses aren't.
    "Wisdom means having the ability to admit what you do not know."

Chaplain

I got my wife to paint one model, then never again. Totally not her thing. I try to invite her to play but she has no interest. I think you should take heart they you have someone who you can play regularly and is forcing you to be a better player.

Well, neither my ex wife, nor my second wife have any interest in 40k. In fact, my ex was VIOLENTLY opposed to me ever playing the game, but we somehow managed to produce 3 great sons who are great gamers! When we are all together my Guard have the choice of facing off against Ultramarines, Speedfreekz, or a Tyranid splinter fleet. Good times,,,,

My wife HATES 40k...though she loves fantasy. If you think losing is that bad, my wife beat me in a tourny and I had to take the slayer oath. I ended up with a bright orange beard...in front of the entire gaming group and the worst part was my mom was the one that dyed my beard

morale of the story..be grateful she doesnt rub it in when she kicks your ***.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Cherub View Post
    My wife HATES 40k...though she loves fantasy. If you think losing is that bad, my wife beat me in a tourny and I had to take the slayer oath. I ended up with a bright orange beard...in front of the entire gaming group and the worst part was my mom was the one that dyed my beard

morale of the story..be grateful she doesnt rub it in when she kicks your ***.
    Dude, just awesome........what happens if she lost? Would you force her to wear an orange beard?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast