BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Explain it like you would to a child

So we have a tourney going at a local shop and we have a group of guys who have been playing that when a unit that is already engaged gets charged by another unit they cant attack that unit due to the first bullet point in the multiple combat section. After showing them the errata and and how the wording was changed they still dont understand and feel like they are being cheated since the are not local to the tourney. Does anybody have a clear cut way we can describe this while keeping the peace?

Librarian

You determine who a model may attack by who is engaged at the start of combat.
    This is not at the start of the assault phase, but after all attackers move and defender react.
    If it was at the start of the assault phase no one could attack in the initial assault.
    Both sides make their assault moves and then you figure out who is engaged.
    All of the engaged models may attack.

Chapter-Master

They can assault, it's just poorly worded to sound like they can't. As DV8 mentioned, the start of combat is not the same thing as the start of the assault phase. At the start of combat, which is after all assault moves are made and everyone is in contact with everyone else, you figure out who you attack. Since you are engaged with the assaulting unit at the beginning of combat, you may attack them if you choose to.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Veteran-Sergeant

LOL this makes me laugh, of course they can attack why not, we all know GW sucks at writing rules. How can they feel cheated its the rules.

Thanks guys. Guess i wil just have to stress to them that start of combat and start of assualt are 2different things.