BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Chaplain

Default KrewL's Random Stuff

Hrm possibility of a free army eh? *unlurk mode* xP Cleaver scheme there BoLS!

My main army is Tyranids, and I have an Ork and Daemon army on the side. Been in the hobby for about 4 years. Currently I have been in a Daemon mood hobby wise, but those new Tyranid models has a gribbly mojo returning. Don't want to bomb everyone with a crap load of pictures, so I will just show my current project atm.

Insert giant copy paste blogging of Soulgrinder progress. From lurking, I noticed a picture posting limit, so these will be linkified.

---------

Feb 3, 2012

I have always wanted a Soulgrinder. They were having a 20% off sale on models so I caved in and got one lol. This one may take awhile, because of my crazy "battle damage" idea. Been working on this off and on all week, but now it's presentable.

Here is what it looks like all together. I decided to have the harvester gun on its own arm. I just didnt like the way it looked with the "sword or claw" hand options. I wanted my grinder to look unique too, so I opted for the 2 crushy claws and a gun arm.

Then here it is being disassembled. I really didnt want to mess with those anoying legs, so I am going to make a smoke ball for "immobilized". I pull its arms off for what weapons get destroyed (2 arms would go off for the CCW+Gun combo since they count as one weapon). For a wrecked result, the torso just pops off. I will make a bloody spine with flesh/wires hanging on it to stick on in place. The arms will also have magnetic battle damaged bits that pop on to hide the magnets (I gotta do this to my Deff Dread too!).

The wound sockets are still very WIP.

For the maw cannon, I was thinking to make a magnetic effect I can stick in for weapon profiles. For weapon destroyed, could make some gross bloody saliva dripping down or something. I also added some extra horns to its head

With the arms, I am adding some detail into them, which also reinforces the bits together. The contact areas for gluing are small... so I am worried these "arm shields" could get damaged.

Last edited by KrewL RaiN; 03-06-2012 at 11:56 AM. Reason: theory of people too lazy to click links

Chaplain

With the harvester gun, I used some old paint brush protectors for extra gun barrels. I was thinking of putting one of the chaos spawn mouth things over the one barrel.

And here is some other details. Added some extra tubes on the back. These are from a robot figure that I ripped apart lol. For the magnetic areas, I have to do some overlapping detail with greenstuff, so there isn't an anoying gap that would drive me nuts lol. Still have to do this with the arms and the shoulders. I didnt like the back pipes either, so I thought the daemon prince ones would look cool. I moved the normal back pipes onto the butt end.

Then when I get all this crazy work done, this thing is going to be bloody anoying to paint! :<

Feb 21, 2012

More progress on the grinder. Painting this thing is down right tedious lol. The scheme I came up with is looking good so far. With all the bloody stuff around the areas were flesh and metal merge, I figured the fusion of daemon and machine would not be as clean as the box art shows lol.

With the magnetic battle damaged stumps, I am a bit stuck on them. Here is the one, but I want some flesh hanging off it and I dunno how I would pull that off. Lower photo shows a bit more of the unstable flesh/metal melding.

Chaplain

I made a tongue like thing out of greenstuff, have to paint it up looking like energy. I might have to insert more wire into said tongue so the magnet grabs it better. Also added a huge bolt sticking out of the one shoulder, to mirror the pole to gear arm attachment of the other side.

Mar 1, 2012

OMG this took forever to paint lol. Warning, giant photo is giant, you will have to not be lazy and click the link because of the width haha. Now I gotta work on the battle damage parts.

-------->> [url]http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/1425/soulgrinderpainted.jpg[/url]

---------

I'll post some other stuff eventually too. I just don't want to overwhelm everyone xD. I did the little cheat I noticed everyone doing and double posted because of 4 image limit lol.

Fly Lord

HOLY CRAP, that looks good!

Why the heck have you been lurking with skills like that. More project logs - please!

With Greenstuff skills like that, I shudder to think what you could do with the Cronos/Talos kit...
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Bigred View Post
    HOLY CRAP, that looks good!

Why the heck have you been lurking with skills like that. More project logs - please!

Haha aww. I tend to be stupid shy at times. I was going to join even before the "free army bait scheme" but kept chickening out. I know I'm weird xP

As for that Talos kit, I WANT to make a Daemon Prince out of it, but nothing has hit me yet inspiration wise.

First-Captain

great work fella
    Can't wait for more.

One short question, how do you painted the "Pox" and stuff? I like them, would fit better than the basic, boring green ones!

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Rahakanji View Post
    One short question, how do you painted the "Pox" and stuff? I like them, would fit better than the basic, boring green ones!
    Here is where I am sad that GW discontinued the inks. I use red ink for the bloody bits, which blends the flesh into the metal pretty good. To emulate that, I think you need to use a mix of blood red and red gore, and then if you want it glossy, use that err ard coat varnish I think its called lol.

The flesh is bleached bone base. Then a gryphonne sepia wash. Then a bleeched bone/skull white mix for the highlighting.

Scout

Some Amazing work there, you should be proud of it! I look forward to seeing more of you work in the future.

Chaplain

Guess I will tell the tale of one of my more frustrating conversions.

Somedays out of the blue, a killer conversion idea will strike your brain. Happens to me quite alot, and it can be maddening haha! The conversion I am going to feature here is my count as Skulltaker on Chariot and its also an excuse to make a 2 headed Juggernaut. Little did I know it was going to be a bit of a headache! Tyranid sculpting is down my ally, but when it comes to metal, let the frustration begin! Here is the 2 headed Juggernaut in progress:

The hind end was a perfect merge, but the upper area has some issues. I need to bulk out the front legs, they are out of proportion. I also need to raise the back into that hump Juggers have. I have the bulldog look I am going for, yet it also looks like a turtle! Oh the curse of the perfectionist, how I hate thee! When the perfectonist kicks in, it's always good to take a break to let your mind refresh. If you don't, you may destroy your project!

The Jugger may be giving me a headache, but the rider is turning out nice. The loin cloth from the Plastic Daemon Prince kit makes a very nice cape! I also used the spare Bloodcrusher necklace to add a Khorne touch. The shoulder armour is made out of a Tyranid carapace bit with some green stuffed in detail. I might mirror it on the other side. Skulls on chains are plenty in the Bloodcrusher kit, so I have those hanging off his cape too. The head I wished I used a forehead with a rune in it. Also used the big fancy sword. That sword represents the rending rule for me and will glow a bit with hellfire.

And thus my next problem arises, how to mount the rider to the Jugger. I am probaly going to have to attach two chains of jewery chain to the ring in his hand. Then attach the two ends to the Jugger's collars. When based, the Jugger will be jumping into the air and hopfully wont look so flat in the end. Here is a size comparison with a Bloodcrusher:

This project ended up on the backburner for a long time haha. I cant remember the date of that blog entry in our local groups blog.

I finished it on March 24th 2011 according to my warpshadow blog:

Last edited by KrewL RaiN; 03-06-2012 at 12:39 PM.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast