BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking A Tau XV-8 Command Team...Advice?

Hey guys, I'm starting a new tau army and I was wondering if you guys think this Crisis Suit Command Squad is ok.

Crisis Suit Command Team @ 247 points

XV-8 Commander Shas'El (83)
    - Twin-Linked Fusion Blaster, Targeting Array, Hard-Wired Target Lock
    XV-8 Bodyguard Shas'Vre (82)
    - Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Targeting Array, Hard-wired Multi-Tracker
    XV-8 Bodyguard Shas'Vre (82)
    - Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Targeting Array, Hard-wired Multi-Tracker

My goal with the commander w/ fusion blaster was to destroy a transport using the target lock and blasting the crew inside with the body guard. He'll have that or the plasma/missile set up instead.

I think I made it into a basic fire knife team, but what I was really wondering was whether this is a good unit for a beginner.
    For an anti-mEQ, Tau strike force, would this be a decent command team? Any suggestions?

Thanks!!! Happy Wargaming y'all!
    Last edited by Burn_Tide; 03-05-2012 at 11:34 PM.

I don't think this is even possible! Because, albeit you can shoot at different targets, the shoots are still at the same time! So you could Pop two different tanks but not one Tank and their "crew".

I would also recomend 2Drohnes (Shild and Attack), with one of the Vre's because you will have additional all.-groups!
    Last edited by Rahakanji; 03-06-2012 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rahakanji View Post
    I don't think this is even possible! Because, albeit you can shoot at different targets, the shoots are still at the same time! So you could Pop two different tanks but not one Tank and their "crew".
    This man speak truth.

Banned

Not to mention the fact that you would kill an absolute maximum of 6 marines (assuming all shots hit, wound, and all save fail - unlikely) and then be stuck within 18 inches, allowing the remaining marines to catch you in CC, which is bad new for crisis suits.

well, I dont plan to be running the crisis suits all alone on a cliff, so they wont be alone in their shooting, but there are likely variables to consider such as cover, pinning ( i know, terribly unlikely), terrain that can obstruct assaults, etc. I don't plan on simply moving in the open, shooting, and backing up 6". there will be more (and obviously varying) tactics, and I was looking for something that has a primary but flexible goal to accomplish.

But still thanks for the input!!!

Burn Tide, you might want to consider giving the commander a fusion and a Missile or Plasma, instead of reducing him to a single melta shot. He will be able to contribute to the rest of the game, and considering the points of the squad, it is probably cost inefficient to trade that squad for a transport and some troops (not to mention hard to pull off). I like meltas in the crisis squads, but to have a 83 pt guy with one twin linked melta is a bit expensive.

I also agree with Rahakanji that you may want to add some drone support.

Good luck.

Scout

I doubly agree, give him something that has a bit longer range so you're not constantly having to keep in assault range to shoot. Even if you move your assault six inches directly away from the squad you're shooting at, 16" can be overcome by fleet or fast units. Do some dancing around and poking with plasma or missile pods as the second weapon option.

Chapter-Master

In my experience, it's best to kit an entire Crisis Suit squad out for achieving one or two complimentary goals really well, rather than attempt to create one squad that can do a lot of things poorly. Crisis suits are strong, but they can't put out a high volume of fire. Since in this edition the Command and Control element of the game is gradually draining away, troops rarely fall back from casualties and you can't count on "kill enough of them to make them back off" to save you.

I'd say make this a long range missile pod support crisis suit squad, or a close up deep-striking tank-popping fusion blaster squad, or something else entirely. Check out Advanced Tau Tactica (you can Google it). They've got a lot of articles on the best Crisis Suit loadouts and what they're good for.

First-Captain

Why not two plasmas or two fusion blasters? The Tau empire codex does not have the restriction of two weapons counted as twin linked that the first one did. Just pay double the points and have the extra shots rather than re-rolls.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast