BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Choosing Colors for Skaven Clan Skyre

So I'm having a hard time trying to find all the colors I would need to begin my Skaven army. I've looked through both GW and Vallejo sites but there in lies the problem; to many dam colors. I wouldn't mind using both color ranges however I prefer to just focus on one.

If some one could help me decide on a army color palette that would super great.

Skaven Clan Skrye Paint Range

+ General Color +
    - Bronze/Brass/Copper
    - Lime green (varying shades of green really) for glow Warpstone
    - White or dirty white even Tan
    - Dirty Iron/Steel
    - Some Red for cables
    - Wood colors
    - Dark fur to grey fur and varying shades of brown fur
    - Rust colored Iron and Oxidize Copper

Also what is the best way to make Black in general look good? Like what do I highlight with or uh shade black with lol @_@
    This is for another army Iron Hands and Goff Orks.

I'm guessing that you want to buy as few paints as possible to achieve what you want? Well, if you don't mind mixing paints, all you really need is one each of your base colours and black and white, but the problem with that is you either need a really keen eye or you will end up with quite a mismatched army - not necessarily a bad thing with Skaven of course, where they are quite ragtag anyway. But if you don't mind a little bit more expense you can still get great results with quite a small number of paints.

When I paint I always go base colour - wash - drybrush with base - wash - highlight (repeating as necessary to get a deeper contrast).

So, below I've written what I would suggest for your base and highlights for each colour. I'm writing with the current GW range titles, but I actually am still using colours from before the reboot, so I'm using the conversion guide to give you it's new equivalent, hopefully it'll give you the effect you want. I'm doing it in the format Base Highlight Optional Second Highlight - I normally will only use a second highlight colour on characters or centrepiece models, but I thought I'd put them down anyway. I'd look at them as a secondary requirement, so if you wanted to just get the first couple on each colour first you can get them all to a good standard with those and buy the optional colours in a second batch later.

Skaven Clan Skrye Paint Range

+ General Color +
    - Bronze/Brass/Copper - Screaming Bell Hashut Copper Gehenna's Gold
    - Lime green (varying shades of green really) for glow Warpstone - Caliban Green Warboss Green Moot Green
    - White or dirty white even Tan - Baneblade Brown Ushabti Bone White Scar
    - Dirty Iron/Steel - Leadbelcher Ironbreaker Runefang Steel
    - Some Red for cables - Wazdakka Red Evil Sunz Scarlet Wild Rider Red
    - Wood colors - Baneblade Brown Mournfang Brown Skrag Brown
    - Dark fur to grey fur and varying shades of brown fur - I would use the above brown colours, but to get some variation in fur tones get a palette (I use an empty ferrero rocher base) and mix 5 or 6 variations of brown by mixing them together and also by mixing in reds or flesh colours. I would suggest faces/ears/palms (exposed flesh areas basically) should be drybrushed with Kislev Flesh to distinguish them as well
    - Rust colored Iron and Oxidize Copper - For rust I would stipple on Wazdakka followed by Troll Slayer Orange, and for Oxidised Copper I would use watered down Sotek Green to give a verdigris effect (Lahmian Medium is great for this and I actually highly recommend it)

And finally I would suggest getting a wash to add shadow and tie all your tones together (wash the whole model in it top to tail when you have drybrushed everything). I would suggest Nuln Oil for black, and either Agrax Earthshade or Seraphim Sepia for brown. The method I found worked for me was to use brown for the first wash and then after drybrushing wash with black.

Obviously this is all just advice and down to personal preference, so if you spot any colours that you prefer to the ones I've suggested, go with your gut. But I would recommend using just two or three variations of each tone to achieve what you want. I hope this has helped and look forward to seeing some pictures of your army in progress

Also, if you want to see my Skaven and check whether I know what I'm talking about, go [URL="http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=21540"]here[/URL], feel free to ask me about any of the effects I achieved if you see something you like and I haven't explained it already
    "Paws off ma cheeze!"