Hi
I think it is fair to say that most people on this forum or lurking in the shadows are, to some degree, Star Wars fans. I know I am. I love the movies, the toys and the conventions. For me, it forms the core of my nerdism.
I Still watch Episode IV and think it does not look as dated visually as other movies of the time or after. That is because they nailed the design first time round. It's a classic, fact.
They built us a fantasy world that has lasted for 35 years and, I suggest, will keep on going for a while yet.The world of Star Wars has been expanded on greatly since then and we now have a much wider SW universe to play around in with the games and the comics etc that a lot of us on here enjoy.

I would just like us to say a big thank you to Mr Ralph McQuarrie who died last Saturday at the age of 82. Without this man, we would not have the star Wars universe we know and love today. It was this man's job to take the crazy sci-fi ramblings pouring out of the mind of one Mr George Lucas and turn them into a visual reality. He did a really fantastic job. He designed Darth Vader, the droids, some of the ships, Storm Troopers. I won't go on just look him up.

He was one of the major architects of the success of Star Wars. Movies are of course a visual medium. His visuals made the magic happen as far as I am concerned. He got it so right. His art is so good and inspiring and I think this really comes through in the movie.
Out of all my Star Wars autographs I have collected so far, his is my favourite. You can buy a portfolio associated with each movie that contain lovely collections of his work on Star Wars. I invite you to get hold of them and enjoy them.

This is the official post about him on the star Wars blog:
[url]http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/index.php/2012/03/05/celeb-fans-remember-artist-ralph-mcquarrie/[/url]