BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Battle-Brother

I don't have a problem with number one, 40K is expensive, so it can take a long time between when you decide to start playing a new army and when you finish it. I think the game as a whole is more fun when every player can try out the new codex or whatever, rather then just one faction being excited about it. I do see how it could be abused heavily by a powergamer though.

On a related note, what about a different version of type 1 where the models are still from the same army? Ie. "these unconverted ork boys 'count as' tankbustas"?

Scout

I'm OK with all levels, though obviously far prefer 2 or 3.
    1 is more situational--if it is someone new to an army, I'm fine with proxies as long as I know what's going on. I'd rather have a model that doesn't fit than a piece of paper in the shape with a name on it.
    With people I regularly play, I don't complain at all UNLESS no progress is made from month to month. If they're building things up I have no objection to proxying as long as each time I play there are fewer than the last time.

I am all for conversions. As for proxies, just write down what everything is so opponents know what they are facing.

I have seen some great counts as armies. However, most are just an excuse to codex hop.
    http://crazyredpraetorian.blogspot.com/
    http://theflylordsofterra.blogspot.com/

Battle-Brother

When it comes to playing friends number one can be great. I got into the game playing two friends, and I know we had more fun playing different match ups all the time rather then the same three armies paired up for every match.

Meh, just be wysiwyg. I don't mind the codex hoping as long as the unique units are different, but a tac sqaud is a tac squad.

I've been playing a category 2 army for years. I started building a Chaos army when the current Chaos codex came out, but at that time I didn't like all the spiky and gribbly bits associated with the Chaos model range (and I still don't) so I bought Space Marine models, instead, and used those.

Almost everything is wysiwyg, but conversions are fairly minimal. I cleaned all of the Imperial iconography and purity seals from my marines, but I haven't modeled my Icons of Glory, stating instead that my squad sergeants, who are all visibly distinct, carry them. I use assault marines for Raptors and Terminators for Terminators, but I did arm swaps on the robed Dark Angels Veterans to give them all pairs of chainswords and use them for Berserkers. I built terminators carrying plasma cannons (using the terminator heavy flamer and plastic Devastator plasma cannon bits) that I use as Obliterators.

I use unconverted Balrogs from the WotR line for Daemon Princes (I play them as Wings, Mark of Khorne) and more heavily converted plastic marines as lords and sorcerers. I have a Chaos Terminator Lord with all of his gribbly armor detail cleaned off built into a counts-as Abbadon.

My army is fully painted in a non-cannon scheme, so there's no source of confusion, there.

I have had people presume that my marines are loyalist marines. It's understandable. I've never had anyone complain once I explain to them how my equivalencies work, though.

Really, this is a border-line example. It's not proxies, exactly, 'cause almost everything looks pretty much exactly how it's supposed to except for aesthetic details. There are some conversions, but they're pretty minor.
    Last edited by Bean; 03-06-2012 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    Almost is wysiwyg, but conversions are fairly minimal. I cleaned all of the Imperial iconography and purity seals from my marines, but I haven't modeled my Icons of Glory, stating instead that my squad sergeants, who are all visibly distinct, carry them. I use assault marines for Raptors and Terminators for Terminators, but I did arm swaps on the robed Dark Angels Veterans to give them all pairs of chainswords and use them for Berserkers. I built terminators carrying plasma cannons (using the terminator heavy flamer and plastic Devastator plasma cannon bits) that I use as Obliterators.
    I did the same thing with my Berzerkers with a few more spikes and Power Fisting Cypher for the champ. Gives it more of a reaping feel than just the strait up slaughter

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Rissan4ever View Post
    #1 is inappropriate for tournaments, but ok for casual play IF you're trying out a new concept or still planning the army. Once it's beyond the planning stage, you should move on to #2.

#2 depends on the time and care put into the conversions. If they look cool, and I can tell what's what, it's fine. If the units aren't clearly distinguishable, then it's a problem.

#3 is 100% pure awesomeness. If someone spent this much time and effort making an army that looks that amazing, they can use whatever rules they want, and I won't care because I'll be too busy drooling.
    I will say, having been in that position recently, it can be hard to judge when it's time to move beyond the planning stage and make that big lump-sum investment in buying a bunch of models at once. But you're right, you eventually have to do it, and no longer will the folks at my local store be subjected to my Ghetto-Rhinos.

Quote Originally Posted by flygonzom View Post
    I did the same thing with my Berzerkers with a few more spikes and Power Fisting Cypher for the champ. Gives it more of a reaping feel than just the strait up slaughter
    Cool. I actually built my champs with double power weapons, just to keep the sword theme going. I also retained the Dark Angels sword iconography--on the shoulder pads. It's pretty much the only iconography I didn't scrape off of my guys, and it shows up mostly on my berserkers.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast